|besloten vennootschap met beperkte aansprakelijkheid|
|Revenue||€1.4 billion (2015)|
|€500 million (2015)|
Number of employees
|1500 FTE (2015)|
|Subsidiaries||Ben, Tele2 Netherlands|
Deutsche Telekom entered the Dutch market by the acquisition of Ben on 20 September 2002. In 2007, T-Mobile Netherlands, a wholly owned subsidiary of T-Mobile International, acquired Orange Netherlands from France Télécom for EUR 1.33 billion. This made it the third largest mobile telephone operator in the country behind KPN and VodafoneZiggo. Prior to its 2019 merger, Tele2 Netherlands used to use T-Mobile's infrastructure for the old 3G and 2G bands, as it only had a licence for the 4G band.
T-Mobile announced in May 2010 that it was dealing with major capacity problems on its 3G network. T-Mobile admitted the problems after much pressure from customers and the Dutch media. T-Mobile could not keep up with the growing data demand from smartphones, caused by the number of new customers who wanted an iPhone: T-Mobile in the Netherlands failed to keep up with the demand, and capacity problems on the network were the result. T-Mobile denied the problems at first by telling complaining customers that their mobile phone or SIM-card was causing the problem.
The capacity problems occurred mostly in cities and densely populated areas. When affected, people could experience problems with calling or receiving calls, text messaging (SMS), or data services. A substantial number of customers were not able to use any of these services in cities or urban areas when the network capacity was overloaded, for instance, the cities of Amsterdam and Utrecht were heavily impacted.
After being put under pressure by several consumer interest groups and the Dutch media, T-Mobile started a cash-back settlement for all consumers who had complained about failing communication services.
Acquisition of Vodafone ThuisEdit
In August 2016, after Ziggo and Vodafone Netherlands announced their merger, the European Commission required Vodafone to split of their fixed-line Internet business, as a condition to approve the merger. T-Mobile Netherlands reached an agreement to acquire Vodafone Thuis in November 2016, taking over their 150,000 customers. The deal was completed in December 2016. The service was rebranded T-Mobile Thuis on 15 February 2017.
Acquisition of Tele2 NetherlandsEdit
- "Feiten en cijfers" [Facts and figures]. T-Mobile Netherlands (in Dutch). Retrieved 2016-12-01.
- "Merger completed between Tele2 and T-Mobile in the Netherlands". Tele2 AB. 2 January 2019.
- van Beijnum, Iljitsch. "iPhone overload: Dutch T-Mobile issues refund after 3G issues". arstechnica.com. Retrieved 2012-03-24.
- "Netwerkprobleem T-Mobile door smartphones" [T-Mobile network problems because of smartphones] (in Dutch). NU.nl. 2008-05-28. Retrieved 2012-03-24.
- Funnekotter, Wout (2010-05-28). "T-Mobile: Op korte termijn geen oplossing voor belproblemen" [T-Mobile: No short-term call problem solution] (in Dutch). tweakers.net. Retrieved 2012-03-24.
- Schievink, Bauke (2010-06-16). "T-Mobile meldt oplossing voor 3g-problemen" [T-Mobile reports solution to 3g problems] (in Dutch). tweakers.net. Retrieved 2012-03-24.
- "Bereik" [Coverage] (in Dutch). t-mobile.nl. Retrieved 2012-03-24.
In het eerste half jaar van 2010 investeerde T-Mobile een bedrag van tientallen miljoenen euro’s in de optimalisering en verdere uitbreiding van het netwerk
- Julian Huijbregts (3 August 2016). "Europese Commissie keurt fusie Vodafone en Ziggo goed onder voorwaarden" [European Commission approves merger Vodafone and Ziggo, with conditions]. Tweakers (in Dutch).
- Julian Huijbregts (4 November 2016). "T-Mobile bereikt overeenkomst met Vodafone over overname vastenetwerkdiensten" [T-Mobile and Vodafone reach agreement about fixed-line services]. Tweakers (in Dutch).
- "Vodafone completes sale of Vodafone Netherlands' consumer fixed business to T-Mobile Netherlands". Vodafone. 16 December 2016.
- Jarco Kriek (12 January 2017). "T-Mobile Thuis nieuwe naam Vodafone Thuis" [T-Mobile Thuis new name Vodafone Thuis]. Totaal TV (in Dutch).
- Joris Jansen (15 December 2017). "T-Mobile Nederland neemt Tele2 over" [T-Mobile Netherlands acquires Tele2]. Tweakers (in Dutch).
- Olaf van Miltenburg (2 January 2019). "T-Mobile en Tele2 ronden fusie af" [T-Mobile and Tele2 complete merger]. Tweakers (in Dutch).