Syracuse, New York in fiction
(Redirected from Syracuse in film and television)
Syracuse, New York has been portrayed in a range of literary, film and other fictional works.
- Adult World (Feature film, 2014) - Starring Emma Roberts, Evan Peters, Cloris Leachman, Shannon Woodward, and John Cusack. Filmed entirely in Syracuse, including the SU campus, the Carrier Dome, the Gear Factory, Recess Coffee, Little Italy, Clinton Square, Phoebe’s restaurant and the upside down traffic light on Tipperary Hill.
- A Clouded Name (silent film, 1923) - Starring Norma Shearer. Scenes were filmed at the State Fair, the Calthrop mansion, and at the Liverpool's solar salt fields (which closed three years later).
- Banana Split (feature film, 2018) - Starring Hannah Marks, Liana Liberato, Dylan Sprouse, and Jessica Hecht. Scenes were filmed at Heid’s ice cream shop — yes, a banana split is served — along with the Palace Theater in Eastwood, a private residence on Sedgwick Drive in Syracuse, and the former A.V. Zogg Middle School in Liverpool, now known as Syracuse Studios.
- Big Daddy (Feature film, 1999) - Several mentions; Adam Sandler's character is a Syracuse University alumnus (attended Syracuse University College of Law) and wears various Syracuse sweatshirts and T-shirts.
- Big Time Adolescence (Feature film, 2019) - Starring Griffin Gluck, Pete Davidson, Jon Cryer, Sydney Sweeney, and Machine Gun Kelly. The movie was shot in 2018 with scenes at the Palace Theater in Eastwood, Sylvan Beach Amusement Park, the Sound Garden record store in downtown Syracuse, and the former A.V. Zogg Middle School in Liverpool, now known as Syracuse Studios.
- Born on the Fourth of July (Feature film, 1989) - Tom Cruise's character attends a Vietnam War protest, which is held at Syracuse University. Tom Cruise was born in Syracuse and has appeared in several films referencing his hometown. This Oliver Stone film also starred Syracuse native Frank Whaley and Stephen Baldwin, whose mother lives in Central New York.
- Crooked Arrows (feature film, 2012) - Starring Brandon Routh. The story of a Native American lacrosse team in a prep school league tournament, filmed in Central New York with appearances by local lacrosse players and coaches, including SU's John Desko and Gary Gait.
- Freak Talks About Sex (also known as Blowin' Smoke) (Feature film, 1999) - Starring Steve Zahn. Filmed in Syracuse; life in Syracuse is part of the plot.
- God Bless America (film) (2011) - Written and directed by Syracuse-born native Bobcat Goldthwait, who shot part of this dark satire featuring Joel Murray (Bill Murray's brother) in Clinton Square, downtown Syracuse.
- Holly Slept Over (Feature film, 2017) - Starring Nathalie Emmanuel, Ron Livingston, Josh Lawson, and Britt Lower. Filmed entirely in Syracuse suburbs. First release from Liverpool-based American High. 
- Lady in White (Feature film, 1988) - Starring Lukas Haas, Len Cariou, Alex Rocco, and Katherine Helmond. Opening sequence filmed in Syracuse Hancock International Airport; much of the rest of the movie was filmed in the villages of Lyons, Newark, and Phelps, approximately 50 miles west of Syracuse.
- Looks That Kill (Feature film, 2018) - Starring Brandon Flynn, Julia Goldani Telles, and Ki Hong Lee. Filmed throughout Syracuse and Liverpool in 2018.
- Sid is Dead (Feature film, 2019) - Starring Joey Bragg, Jack Griffo, Tyler Alvarez, Genevieve Hannelius, and Mary Stuart Masterson. Filmed in Syracuse suburbs and the American High film hub in Liverpool, New York.
- Slap Shot (Feature film, 1977) - Starring Paul Newman and Michael Ontkean.  One of the hockey teams is the (fictional) Syracuse Bulldogs, and parts of the movie were filmed at the Onondaga County War Memorial in downtown Syracuse.
- Snow Day (Feature film, 2000) - Starring Chevy Chase, Chris Elliott, Mark Webber, Schuyler Fisk, Jean Smart, Iggy Pop, Pam Grier, John Schneider, Josh Peck, Emmanuelle Chriqui, David Paetkau, and Rozonda Thomas ('Chili' from TLC). Syracuse is portrayed as a small village with high snowfall. Filmed in Edmonton and Calgary.
- The Commuter (Feature film, 2018) - In the opening sequence, Michael MacCauley's (Liam Neeson) teenage son is trying to meet Syracuse University's early-admissions deadline. On the commute back from work that day, he informs a train regular (Vera Farmiga) his son is indeed going to Syracuse. Vera Farmiga is an alumna of Syracuse University.
- The Express: The Ernie Davis Story (Feature film, 2008) - Starring Rob Brown, Dennis Quaid, Charles S. Dutton and (briefly) Chadwick Boseman. The movie is about Ernie Davis, a Syracuse University football player, who is the first African-American to win the Heisman trophy. Parts of the movie were filmed in Syracuse and the world premiere took place at the Landmark Theatre in Syracuse.
- The Purge - 2013 - Syracuse appears in Purge Feed (during the 2017 Purge) in the film's introduction.
- The Quantum Leap episode "Catch a Falling Star" was set in Syracuse.
- The short-lived 1993 CBS sitcom The Trouble with Larry, which starred Bronson Pinchot and Courteney Cox, was set in Syracuse. The show was cancelled after three episodes.
- In Unforgettable, Two of the main characters (played by Poppy Montgomery and Dylan Walsh) used to work for the Syracuse Police Department and flashbacks often take place in Syracuse.
- Most Freddy the Pig books take place on farm a few miles outside of Syracuse.
- Monster of the Year is a book that takes place in Syracuse; the author, Bruce Coville, was born and raised there.
- Origin: A Novel is a thriller by Diana Abu-Jaber set in Syracuse.
- Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson is a novel set in Syracuse.
- Vampire Zero by David Wellington is a vampire novel in which a significant portion of the novel takes place at Syracuse University.
- Hanging Upside Down (novel) by Anthony Otero in which the majority of the book take place in and around Syracuse University.
- I’ll take you there by Joyce Carol Oates is set at Syracuse University.
- Herbert, Geoff. "25 Movies Filmed in Syracuse That You Can Watch Right Now". Syracuse.com.
- Herbert, Geoff. "67 Movies, TV Shows with CNY Ties on Netflix, Hulu and Amazon (updated list)". Syracuse.com.
- Herbert, Geoff. "Syracuse Quotes in Movies & TV Shows". Syracuse.com.
- Weaver, Teri. "Upstate Hollywood: Movies Filmed in New York State". [NYup.com].