Sylvia M. Broadbent
This biography of a living person relies too much on references to primary sources. (November 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Sylvia Marguerite Broadbent (London, United Kingdom, 26 February 1932 - Arlington, California, United States, 30 July 2015) was an American anthropologist and professor, specializing in Amerindian peoples.
|Sylvia Marguerite Broadbent|
February 26, 1932|
|Died||July 30, 2015
Arlington, California, United States
|Title||Professor Emerita of Anthropology|
Broadbent was born in London. She emigrated with her family in the wake of World War II to Carmel, California, in 1947. Broadbent graduated from Carmel High School in 1948 at the age of 16. Broadbent enrolled at University of California, Berkeley, where she was awarded the Horatio Stebbins scholarship as a junior and earned her Associate of Arts degree in Anthropology (with honors) in 1951.:190,247 She went on to win a Genevieve McEnerny fellowship and receive her Bachelor's degree in Anthropology (with highest honors) in 1952.:190 From 1955 to 1960 she performed research among native peoples in Southern California and recorded Chukchansi, Ohlone, and Miwok. Her 1960 doctoral dissertation was A grammar of Southern Sierra Miwok, written under the advisement of Mary Haas.
Broadbent began teaching at Northwestern University for Spring Semester 1961 followed by Barnard College that fall. She joined the faculty of Universidad de Los Andes in the Fall of 1964 to focus on the Muisca, native to the Altiplano Cundiboyacense, the high plateau of the Colombian Andes. She began teaching at University of California, Riverside (UCR) in 1966 and was promoted to full professor in 1972. She eventually retired as chair of the anthropology department. Her papers are archived with the special collections department at UCR. Broadbent, a member of the Sierra Club, was party to a lawsuit against the Bureau of Land Management to restrict the use of vehicles in the California desert. In 1981 she wrote The Formation of Peasant Society in Central Colombia for which she was awarded the American Society for Ethnohistory's 1983 Robert F. Heizer prize. UCR offers a fellowship for anthropology graduate students in her name.
- A Grammar of Southern Sierra Miwok (Ph.D). California Indian Library Collections. 1960.
- Los Chibchas: organizacion socio-politica (in Spanish). Bogota: Universidad Nacional de Colombia. 1964.
- Central Sierra Miwok Dictionary: With Texts. Volume 23 of University of California publications in linguistics. University of California Press. 1960. ISSN 0068-6484. (co-authored with Lucy Shepard Freeland)
- The Southern Sierra Miwok language. Volume 38 of University of California publications in linguistics. University of California Press. 1964.
- Investigaciones arqueológicas en el Territorio Chibcha (in Spanish). Colombia: Ediciones Universidad de los Andes. 1965.
- "The Symbolism of the Sipapu". Psychological Perspectives. 13 (1). 1982 – via Pubget.
- "The Formation of Peasant Society in Central Colombia". Ethnohistory. Duke University Press. 28 (3): 259–277. Summer 1981. doi:10.2307/481407. JSTOR 481407.
- University of California (1951). Register. 2.
- Commencement. University of California, Berkeley. 1952.
- "The Graduate Faculty at Riverside". University of California, Riverside. Retrieved 14 November 2014.
- "Anglican Fellowship of Prayer Contributors". Anglican Fellowship of Prayer. 2003.
- Sylvia Broadbent at Riverside University
- de Schrimpff, Marianne Cardale (January–June 2014). "Sylvia Broadbent: una mujer polifacética" (PDF). Revista Colombiana de Antropología (in Spanish). Asociación ProCalima para la Investigación Arqueológica. 50 (1).
- "Class Lists". Carmel High School.
- "Restructuring access: The creation of an online California Language Archive" (PDF). University of California, Berkeley. 12 February 2011.
- "California Language Archive: Sylvia M. Broadbent". University of California, Berkeley.
- "Berkeley Ph.D. dissertations - Survey of California and Other Indian Languages". University of California, Berkeley. Retrieved 14 November 2014.
- "Academic Promotions and Appointments, 1972-73". University Bulletin. University of California. 21 (5): 29. September 18, 1972.
- "Guide to the Sylvia M. Broadbent papers". Online Archive of California. Retrieved 14 November 2014.
- Long, Ken (January 18, 1974). "Suit against BLM seeks to restrict off-road vehicles". The San Bernardino County Sun. p. 16.
- "University People". University Bulletin: A Weekly Bulletin for the Staff of the University of California. 32 (20): 83. February 27 – March 2, 1984.
- "Sylvia M. Broadbent Fellowship in Anthropology (Graduate Students)". www.university-directory.eu. Retrieved 14 November 2014.