Sydney Castle Roberts
Sir Sydney Castle Roberts (1887–1966) was a British author, publisher and university administrator. He was a well-known and popular figure around Cambridge throughout his life, and was recognised as a publisher of skill and distinction.
Roberts was born in Birkenhead on 3 April 1887. He attended Brighton College and Pembroke College, Cambridge. During the first world war he served as a lieutenant in the Suffolk Regiment and was wounded in the Third Battle of Ypres. He was Secretary of Cambridge University Press from 1922 to 1948, Master of Pembroke College, Cambridge from 1948 to 1958, Vice-Chancellor of University of Cambridge from 1949 to 1951, and Chairman of the British Film Institute from 1952 to 1956. He was an author, publisher and biographer and a noted Sherlockian, being president of the Sherlock Holmes Society of London. According to Jon Lellenberg, Roberts is responsible for the popularization of the Sherlockian game of criticism. He was knighted in 1958
- A Picture Book of British History; Cambridge University Press, 1914
- The Story of Doctor Johnson: being an introduction to Boswell's Life; Cambridge University Press, 1919
- A History of the Cambridge University Press 1521–1921; Cambridge University Press, 1921
- Doctor Johnson In Cambridge: Essays In Boswellian Imitation; Putnam, 1922
- Lord Macaulay: The Pre-eminent Victorian; Oxford University Press, 1927
- The charm of Cambridge; A & C Black, 1927
- An Eighteenth-century Gentleman and other essays; Cambridge University Press, 1930
- Doctor Watson: Prolegomena to the study of a biographical problem; Faber & Faber, 1931
- Introduction to Cambridge; Cambridge University Press, 1934
- Pembroke College, Cambridge: a short history; Cambridge University Press, 1936
- Zuleika in Cambridge; Heffer & Sons, 1941
- Springs Of Hellas And Other Essays, with Memoir by S.C. Roberts, Cambridge University Press, 1945
- British Universities (Britain in Pictures); Collins, 1947
- The Sir Walter Scott Lectures for 1948; Oliver and Boyd, 1948
- Sherlock Holmes: Selected Stories: with an introduction by S C Roberts, Oxford University Press, 1951
- Holmes & Watson: A Miscellany (Otto Penzler's Sherlock Holmes Library); Oxford University Press, 1953
- Samuel Johnson; Longmans, 1954
- The Evolution of Cambridge Publishing; Cambridge University Press, 1956
- Doctor Johnson, and others; Cambridge University Press, 1958
- Edwardian Retrospect; UK English Association, 1963
- Adventures with Authors; Cambridge University Press, 1966
- The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Adventure of the Megatherium Thefts, Penguin Books 1985
- Zuleika in Cambridge, Oleander Press; 2009.
- Adventures with Authors, Cambridge University Press; 2010.
- Heritage Press Sandglass Companion Book: 1960-1983 by Michael C. Bussacco, p. 214, at Google Books
- War Record of the Cambridge University Press, 1914-1919. Cambridge University Press. 1920. transcribed in "Roberts S C 2nd Lt". ww1photos.com.
- Letter from Christopher Morley to Sydney Castle Roberts, president of the Sherlock Holmes Society of London
- "The Ronald Knox Myth"
- Supplement to the London Gazette, 1 January 1958, p. 2.
- National Portrait Gallery.Sir Sydney Castle Roberts
- Tim Swann, The Times, 21 July 2007.
Montagu Sherard Dawes Butler
| Master of Pembroke College, Cambridge
W. V. D. Hodge
Charles E. Raven
| Vice-Chancellor of the University of Cambridge
Lionel Ernest Howard Whitby