Swimming at the 2016 Summer Olympics – Men's 200 metre individual medley
|Men's 200 metre individual medley|
at the Games of the XXXI Olympiad
|Venue||Olympic Aquatics Stadium|
10 August 2016 (heats &|
11 August 2016 (final)
|Competitors||30 from 23 nations|
As the most decorated Olympian of all-time, Michael Phelps continued to etch his name into the history records with a first Olympic four-peat in the same individual swimming event. Hanging with some of his career rivals at the final turn, Phelps established a body-length lead over the rest of the field on the freestyle leg to claim his twenty-second gold medal and twenty-sixth overall in 1:54.66. Trailing almost two seconds behind Phelps, Japan's Kosuke Hagino produced a late surge to snatch the silver with a 1:56.61. Meanwhile, China's Wang Shun took home the bronze in 1:57.05, joining Hagino as the first Asian men to stand on the podium in this event.
Hagino's teammate Hiromasa Fujimori missed out of the medals with a fourth-place time in 1:57.21. Phelps' longtime rival and twelve-time medalist Ryan Lochte seized a brief lead into the halfway point with a signature backstroke swim, but faded down the home stretch to fifth, and missed out on his fourth straight medal in this event with a 1:57.47, a hundredth of a second ahead of Germany's Philip Heintz (1:57.48). Backed by the raucous home crowd, Brazilian medal favorite Thiago Pereira, who got off to an early lead with a powerful butterfly effort, slipped to seventh with a 1:58.02. Great Britain's Daniel Wallace posted an eighth-place finish of 1:58.54 to round out the field.
Prior to this competition, the existing world and Olympic records were as follows.
|World record||Ryan Lochte (USA)||1:54.00||Shanghai, China||28 July 2011|
|Olympic record||Michael Phelps (USA)||1:54.23||Beijing, China||15 August 2008|
|6||8||Bradlee Ashby||New Zealand||2:00.45|
|1||5||Michael Phelps||United States||1:55.78||Q|
|2||4||Ryan Lochte||United States||1:56.28||Q|
|4||7||Daniel Wallace||Great Britain||1:57.97||Q|
|6||8||Ieuan Lloyd||Great Britain||1:59.49|
|4||Michael Phelps||United States||1:54.66|
|5||5||Ryan Lochte||United States||1:57.47|
|8||2||Daniel Wallace||Great Britain||1:58.54|
- "Men's 200m Individual Medley". Rio 2016. Archived from the original on 26 August 2016. Retrieved 5 August 2016.
- Auerbach, Nicole (11 August 2016). "Michael Phelps takes no shortcuts on path to fourth Rio Olympics gold medal". USA Today. Retrieved 1 September 2016.
- "Michael Phelps blows away competition in 200-meter I.M. for 22nd gold medal". CBS News. 11 August 2016. Retrieved 1 September 2016.
- Gregory, Sean (11 August 2016). "Michael Phelps Wins 22nd Gold Medal as U.S. Swimmers Break New Ground in Rio". Time. Retrieved 1 September 2016.
- McKirdy, Andrew (12 August 2016). "Kaneto victorious in 200-meter breaststroke; Phelps beats Hagino for 22nd gold". The Japan Times. Retrieved 1 September 2016.
- "Superb Michael Phelps writes yet more history in Rio as he claims 22nd gold medal win". South China Morning Post. 12 August 2016. Retrieved 1 September 2016.
- "Michael Phelps Collects 22nd Gold Medal; Becomes First Swimmer Ever To Fourpeat An Event". Swimming World Magazine. 11 August 2016. Retrieved 1 September 2016.
- "Michael Phelps takes gold, Ryan Lochte fails to medal in 200 IM". ESPN. 11 August 2016. Retrieved 1 September 2016.
- "Michael Phelps destroys the field to win 22nd Olympic gold medal in men's 200m individual medley final". Daily Mail. 11 August 2016. Retrieved 1 September 2016.
- "Ryan Lochte sets world record in 200 IM". ESPN. 28 July 2011. Retrieved 10 July 2013.
- "FINA World Championships, Swimming: Ryan Lochte Sets First Post Techsuit-Era World Record". Swimming World Magazine. 28 July 2011. Archived from the original on 16 September 2012. Retrieved 28 July 2011.
- Crouse, Karen (15 August 2008). "Phelps Moves 200 Meters Closer to His Goal". New York Times. Retrieved 17 May 2013.