Swimming at the 2016 Summer Olympics – Men's 100 metre butterfly
|Men's 100 metre butterfly|
at the Games of the XXXI Olympiad
|Venue||Olympic Aquatics Stadium|
|Dates||11 August 2016 (heats &|
12 August 2016 (final)
|Competitors||43 from 32 nations|
|Winning time||50.39 OR|
Michael Phelps fell short of his attempt to fulfill an Olympic four-peat in the sprint butterfly event, due to an upsetting performance delivered by Joseph Schooling, who became Singapore's first ever Olympic gold medalist. Leading from the start, Schooling defeated the field of experienced sprinters, including all-time medal leader and his personal hero Phelps, to establish a new Olympic record of 50.39 for a gold-medal triumph. Schooling did not only erase Phelps' eight-year-old record by 0.19 seconds, but also produced the fastest time of the event in textile.
Three-quarters of a second later, Phelps touched the wall at the same moment as two of his rivals Chad le Clos of South Africa and four-time Olympian László Cseh of Hungary, leaving them with a matching 51.14 in a historic three-way tie for the silver. Despite missing out an Olympic title defense, Phelps continued to extend his Olympic résumé with a twenty-seventh career medal.
Separated by the leader of the field by almost a second, Chinese swimmer and 2014 Youth Olympic champion Li Zhuhao picked up the fifth spot with a junior world record of 51.26. Meanwhile, France's Mehdy Metella (51.58), Phelps' teammate Tom Shields (51.73), and Russia's Aleksandr Sadovnikov (51.84) closed out the championship field.
Notable swimmers failed to reach the top eight roster, featuring Schooling's countryman Quah Zheng Wen; London 2012 finalists Steffen Deibler (Germany), Joeri Verlinden (Netherlands), and Konrad Czerniak (Poland); Canada's Santo Condorelli, who produced a surprising top 16 finish from an unseeded prelims heat; and Papua New Guinea's Ryan Pini, who missed another chance to reproduce a top eight feat from Beijing 2008 in his fourth Olympic appearance.
Prior to this competition, the existing world and Olympic records were:
|World record||Michael Phelps (USA)||49.82||Rome, Italy||1 August 2009|
|Olympic record||Michael Phelps (USA)||50.58||Beijing, China||16 August 2008|
The following records were established during the competition:
|12 August||Final||Joseph Schooling||Singapore||50.39||OR|
|2||5||Michael Phelps||United States||51.58||Q|
|7||6||James Guy||Great Britain||52.10|
|8||8||Quah Zheng Wen||Singapore||52.26|
|1||4||Joseph Schooling||Singapore||50.83||Q, AS|
|2||6||Chad le Clos||South Africa||51.43||Q|
|4||5||Tom Shields||United States||51.61||Q|
|4||Joseph Schooling||Singapore||50.39||OR, AS|
|2||Michael Phelps||United States||51.14|
|5||Chad le Clos||South Africa|
|7||7||Tom Shields||United States||51.73|
- "Men's 100m Butterfly". Rio 2016. Archived from the original on 22 September 2016. Retrieved 8 August 2016.
- MacGuire, Eoghan (12 August 2016). "Joseph Schooling beats Michael Phelps, wins Singapore's first Olympic gold". CNN. Retrieved 4 September 2016.
- Stanton, Jenny (12 August 2016). "How Singapore's 21-year-old Joseph Schooling beat his IDOL Michael Phelps: Gold medalist trained in Florida and Texas and was inspired by 2008 meeting with the American champion when he was just 14". Daily Mail. Retrieved 4 September 2016.
- Pentony, Luke (12 August 2016). "Rio 2016: Joseph Schooling gives Singapore its first ever Olympic gold medal". ABC News Australia. Retrieved 4 September 2016.
- Goh, Brenda (12 August 2016). "Stunning Phelps, Schooling wins Singapore's first gold". Reuters. Retrieved 4 September 2016.
- Chen, Joyce (12 August 2016). "Michael Phelps Earns Silver in Three-Way Tie in 100M Butterfly at Rio Olympics". Us Weekly. Retrieved 4 September 2016.
- "Joseph Schooling Wins Singapore's First Ever Olympic Swimming Medal With 100 Fly Victory". Swimming World Magazine. 12 August 2016. Retrieved 4 September 2016.
- Konstantinides, Anneta; Ashford, Ben (12 August 2016). "Michael Phelps LOSES his last individual race and has to settle for sharing silver with TWO other swimmers in dramatic tie". Daily Mail. Retrieved 4 September 2016.
- "Joseph Schooling Tops 100 Butterfly Prelims in Rio". Swimming World Magazine. 12 August 2016. Retrieved 4 September 2016.
- "Olympics: Schooling makes history in qualifying for 100m final". Channel News Asia. 13 August 2016. Retrieved 4 September 2016.
- Crouse, Karen (2 August 2009). "Phelps Grabs Record in 100 Butterfly". New York Times. Retrieved 11 July 2013.
- "Phelps 1st to break 50 seconds in event". ESPN. 1 August 2009. Retrieved 11 July 2013.
- Michaelis, Vicki (16 August 2008). "Phelps wins 100m butterfly thriller to tie Spitz's record". USA Today. Retrieved 17 May 2013.