Swan District Hospital
Swan District Hospital was a general public hospital in Middle Swan, in Perth's north-eastern suburbs. The hospital had an emergency department, 193 beds, and also provided outpatient services. It closed on 24 November 2015 following the opening of the Midland Health Campus.
|Swan District Hospital|
|Location||Eveline Road, Middle Swan, Western Australia, Australia|
|Founded||22 September 1951|
|Closed||24 November 2015|
|Lists||Hospitals in Australia|
The construction of the Swan District Hospital was being considered in 1951.
It was opened on 22 September 1954 by the Minister for Health, Emil Nulsen, as a 25-bed maternity hospital. A hospital in the Midland area had previously been requested in the 1930s. The hospital expanded with the addition of a 40-bed general wing that opened 18 October 1963. A second general wing, that also included new X-ray facilities and a nursing aide training school, opened on 20 August 1971. The Swan Valley Centre, a 25-bed mental health unit, opened in early 2001.
Swan District Hospital closed following the opening of the new Midland Health Campus on 24 November 2015. In September 2015, it was reported that all health services at the site except the dental clinic would cease when the main hospital closed. Kim Hames, then the state Health Minister, stated that the hospital site may be sold to pay down state debt. The site was handed to the Department of Lands in March 2016.
- "Swan District Hospital Campus". Department of Health, Government of Western Australia. 2 November 2012. Retrieved 27 January 2013.
- "Swan District Hospital". My Hospitals. National Health Performance Authority, Commonwealth of Australia. 2013. Retrieved 27 January 2013.
- "FAQ". St John of God Midland Public Hospital. Retrieved 17 February 2016.
- "BRICKWORKS AT MIDLAND". The West Australian. Perth: National Library of Australia. 19 February 1951. p. 7. Retrieved 11 February 2014.
- "PERSONAL". The West Australian. Perth: National Library of Australia. 22 September 1954. p. 2. Retrieved 27 January 2013.
- Swan Kalamunda Health Service (2009). "Orientation Package for Nursing Students" (DOC). Department of Health, Government of Western Australia.
- "Plans for Swan District Hospital site". Echo News. 25 September 2015. Retrieved 17 February 2016.
- "End of an era as hospital shuts doors". The Advocate. 4 November 2015. Retrieved 17 February 2016.
|This hospital-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Perth-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|