This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Lady Susan Jellicoe, née Pares  (30 June 1907 – 1 August 1986) was a plant enthusiast, writer, editor and photographer working in collaboration with her husband, the landscape architect Sir Geoffrey Jellicoe. Her main interest was in landscape and garden design.
Susan Jellicoe (christened Ursula but known as Susan or Sue) was born in Liverpool, the third child of Sir Bernard Pares KBE (1867–1949), the historian and academic known for his work on Russia. She was educated at St. Paul's Girls School, Hammersmith and the Sorbonne, Paris. In 1936, she married the landscape architect Sir Geoffrey Jellicoe. During the war, she served in the Ministry of Information department that countered enemy propaganda. From 1945 she worked alongside her husband, designing planting schemes and taking the photographs for his architectural practice. She was an honorary associate of the Landscape Institute and helped found the International Federation of Landscape Architecture (IFLA). In 1985, she was awarded an honorary degree by the University of Sheffield faculty of Landscape Architecture.
Writing and editorshipEdit
Geoffrey and Susan Jellicoe wrote three books together: Modern Private Gardens (1968), Water: The Use of Water in Landscape Architecture (1971) and The Landscape of Man (1975). With Lady Margery Allen she co-wrote The Things We See: Gardens (1953), The New Small Garden (1956) and Town Gardens To Live In (1977). She was also co-author of The Oxford Companion to Gardens with Geoffrey Jellicoe, Patrick Goode and Michael Lancaster (1986). With Sylvia Crowe and Sheila Haywood, she contributed research and photographs to The Gardens of Mughal India: A History and a Guide (1972). From 1961 to 1965, Jellicoe edited The Observer's Gardening Panel. She was editor of the Landscape Institute magazine Landscape Design for 20 years.
- 1956 Planting for Harvey's Store Roofgarden, Guildford, Surrey
- 1957–59 Planting for Water Gardens, Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire
- 1959 Planting for Cliveden, Taplow, Buckinghamshire
- 1980–86 Planting for Sutton Place Garden, Surrey
- "Lady Susan Jellicoe" (PDF). landscapeinstitute.org. 1986-08-01.
- "Jellicoe, Sir Geoffrey Alan". Oxford University Press. 2014-10-29.
- A Tribute to Susan Jellicoe, Landscape Design, October 1986
- Biography of Susan Jellicoe by the Landscape Institute (written prior to photographic archive moving to MERL).
- Biography of Susan Jellicoe - Garden Visit
- Susan Jellicoe Photographic Collection at MERL, University of Reading
- Harvey's Store Roofgarden on Garden Visit
- Hemel Hempstead Water Gardens Restoration
- Hemel Hempstead Water Gardens The Garden History Society
- Restoration of the Cliveden Rose Garden by the National Trust
- Oxford Dictionary of National Biography
- Library of Congress Reference