Surface Pro 6
The Surface Pro 6 is a 2-in-1 detachable tablet computer developed by Microsoft. It is the sixth generation of Surface Pro and was announced alongside the Surface Laptop 2 on October 2, 2018 at an event in New York. It was released on 16th of that same month.
|Product family||Microsoft Surface|
|Release date||October 16, 2018|
|Introductory price||USD 899 to 2,299|
|Operating system||Windows 10 Home Consumer |
Windows 10 Pro Business
|CPU||Intel Core i5-8250U |
Intel Core i5-8350U
Intel Core i7-8650U
|Memory||16 GB, 8 GB RAM|
|Storage||1 TB, 512 GB, 256 GB, 128 GB SSD|
|Display||12.3 inch touchscreen |
2736 x 1824, 267 PPI
3:2 Aspect Ratio
|Graphics||UHD Graphics 620|
|Sound||1.6 W stereo speakers with Dolby Audio, 3.5 mm headphone jack, Dual microphones|
|Input||Built in: touchscreen, ambient light sensor, accelerometer, gyroscope|
Sold Separately: type cover, mouse, stylus pen, Surface Dial
|Camera||Front: 5 MP, 1080p HD |
Rear: 8 MP, 1080p HD
|Touchpad||On the Surface Type Cover |
|Connectivity||WiFi 5, Bluetooth 4.1, Mini DisplayPort|
|Online services||Microsoft Store, OneDrive|
|Dimensions||292 mm x 201 mm x 8.5 mm |
(11.5 in x 7.9 in x 0.33 in)
|Mass||i5: 770 g (1.70 lb) |
i7: 784 g (1.728 lb)
|Predecessor||Surface Pro 5th Gen|
|Successor||Surface Pro 7|
|Surface Pro 6 Configuration Options |
|Price tier in AUD||CPU||GPU||RAM||Internal
|899||999||Intel Core i5
8250U for Consumer
8350U for Business
|Intel UHD Graphics 620||8 GB||128 GB||P|
|1199||1299||256 GB||P B|
|1499||1549||Intel Core i7
|8 GB||256 GB||P B|
|1899||1949||16 GB||512 GB||P B|
This sixth generation Surface computer line has all been updated to Intel's eighth generation Kaby Lake Refresh Core-i5 and Core-i7 CPUs. It is available with either 8 or 16GB of RAM, 128GB, 256GB, 512GB or 1TB of Solid State Storage, and business or consumer models. Business models are pre-installed with Windows 10 Pro while Consumer SKUs are pre-installed with Windows 10 Home.
The port configuration on the Surface Pro 6 remains the same as previous generations with one Surface Connect, USB 3.0 type-A port, one Mini DisplayPort, a 3.5mm headphone jack, and a microSD card reader. Unlike the Surface Go, a USB-C port is not present on the Surface Pro 6. The optional Surface type cover attaches to a magnetic pin port at the bottom of the device which is identical physically to the previous Surface Pro model.
When the brightness is changed to 200 nits, the Surface Pro 6 draws 5W of power. When being charged, the Surface Pro 6 has three different power modes to change how it draws power: Suggested, Better Performance, and Best Performance. When the Surface Pro 6 is not being charged, it adds another power mode in: Battery Saver, Recommended, Better Performance, Best Performance. The battery life on the Surface Pro 6 comes in at 9 hours.
All consumer configurations of the Surface Pro 6 are pre-installed with Windows 10 Home 64-bit. Business configurations are pre-installed with Windows 10 Pro. Both include 30-day trials of Microsoft Office 365.
- An optional Type Cover covered with Alcantara material available in four different colors.
- An optional Surface pen with tilt support and up to 4096 levels of pressure sensitivity and is available in four different colors.
- There are two styles of Surface mouse available in three colors. They are the Surface Mobile Mouse and the Surface Arc Mouse.
- The Surface Pro 6 is compatible with the Surface dial for additional shortcuts and functionality.
- An optional USB-C adapter which attaches to the docking/AC adapter "Surface Connect" port. The adapter supports USB 3, Display Port alternate mode, and charging via USB Power Delivery.
The Surface Pro 6 received generally favourable reviews, with many reviewers praising its high performance and long battery life; however, it was criticised for lacking USB-C ports.
- "The 5 biggest announcements from the Microsoft Surface event".
- "Configure your Surface Pro 6". www.microsoft.com.
- "Buy Surface Pro 6 for Business - Microsoft Store". Microsoft Store.
- "Surface Pro 6 and Surface Laptop 2: New internals, new color, old ports".
- Sharma, Krishan (17 October 2018). "Surface Laptop 2, Pro 6 review: Microsoft's PCs are back, in black". The Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved 15 December 2018.
- "Introducing the New Surface Pro 6 – Ultra-light and Versatile – Microsoft Surface". Microsoft Store. Retrieved 15 December 2018.
- Howse, Brett. "The Microsoft Surface Pro 6 Review: More Than A Color". www.anandtech.com. Retrieved 18 December 2018.