Surface Go 2
The Surface Go 2 is a 2-in-1 detachable tablet computer developed by Microsoft. It is the second generation of Surface Go and was announced alongside the Surface Book 3 on May 6, 2020 online. It was available for purchase starting May 12, 2020.
|Product family||Microsoft Surface|
|Type||2-in-1 detachable tablet computer|
|Release date||6 May 2020|
|Retail availability||12 May 2020|
|Introductory price||USD 400 to 730|
|Operating system||Windows 10 Home S mode |
(upgradable to Home or Pro)
|CPU||Intel Pentium Gold 4425Y|
Intel Core m3 8100Y
|Memory||8 GB or 4 GB RAM|
|Storage||eMMC: 64 GB |
SSD: 128 GB, 256 GB
|Display||10.5 inch Touchscreen |
1920 x 1280, 220 PPI
3:2 Aspect Ratio
Gorilla Glass 3
|Graphics||Intel HD Graphics 615|
|Sound||2W stereo speakers with Dolby Audio, 3.5 mm headphone jack|
|Input||Built in: touchscreen, ambient light sensor, accelerometer, gyroscope, magnetometer |
Sold Separately: type cover, mouse, stylus pen, Surface Dial
|Camera||Front: 5 MP, 1080p HD |
Rear: 8 MP, 1080p HD
|Touchpad||On the Surface Type Cover |
|Connectivity||WiFi 6, Bluetooth 5, NFC, |
LTE A, USB C
|Online services||Microsoft Store, OneDrive|
|Dimensions||245 mm x 175 mm x 8.3 mm |
(9.65 in x 6.9 in x 0.33 in)
|Mass||544 grams (1.199 lb) (WiFi model)|
553 grams (1.219 lb) (LTE model)
|Successor||Surface Go 3|
Surface Go 2 keeps the same thin, lightweight design, but with a larger 10.5-inch display, an improved battery life and an improved performance, one particular model performs 64% faster than the original. It is the first time that an Intel Core m processor is offered in this small device.
The device runs Windows 10 Home in S Mode by default, but can be switched to the full version of Windows 10 Home for free (but not vice versa). It features the same 5 MP front-facing camera, 8 MP rear camera and an infrared camera, same as the previous model. A NFC chip and a kickstand supporting an angle of up to 165° are also present.
With a bigger display also comes with a bigger 1920 x 1280 resolution at 220 ppi, while still maintaining the 3:2 aspect ratio.
The Surface Go 2 starts at $399.99 and goes up to $729.99. Its detachable keyboard with touchpad and stylus pen are sold separately.
|Surface Go 2 Configuration Options|
|Price Tier in USD||CPU||Integrated GPU||RAM||Internal Storage||LTE|
|400||450||Intel Pentium Gold 4425Y||Intel HD Graphics 615
|4 GB||64GB eMMC||No|
|550||Does not appear||8 GB||128GB NVMe SSD|
|Does not appear||500||Intel Core m3 8100Y||Intel HD Graphics 615
|4 GB||64GB eMMC|
|630||680||8 GB||128GB NVMe SSD|
|Does not appear||880||256GB NVMe SSD|
- Windows Hello with IR camera for facial recognition logging in.
- Faster processor with a 64% increase in performance for the top model.
- An Intel Pentium Gold and an Intel Core m3 CPU options with an Intel HD Graphics GPU.
- Memory options are 4GB and 8GB
- Storage options are 64GB, 128GB, and 256GB.
- A headphone jack, a USB-C port, microSD card slot and a nano SIM card tray for the LTE model.
- All configurations can be upgraded to Windows 10 Pro for an additional $50.
- The 8.3 mm thick tablet weighs 544 grams or 1.2 pounds.
- Up to 10 hours of typical device usage.
The Surface Go 2 features a bigger screen than its predecessor. It features a full-body magnesium alloy construction. The device features a new and fanless powerful processor, an Intel Core m3 8th gen processor inside. The cheaper models will have an Intel Pentium Gold processor inside.
The device's Type Cover uses an 8-pin connection which is compatible with the previous model. The keyboard is sold separately at $99.
Surface Go 2 models ship with a pre-installed 64-bit version of Windows 10 Home in S Mode and a 30-day trial of Microsoft 365. Users may only install software from Windows Store. Users can opt out of the S Mode of the OS and upgrade to Home for free or Pro for a fee and be able to install apps from outside the Windows Store.
Windows 10 comes pre-installed with Mail, Calendar, People, Xbox, Photos, Movies and TV, Groove, Your Phone, Office and Edge. The device also supports Windows Hello login using a biometric facial recognition.
- "Introducing Surface Go 2, Surface Book 3, Surface Headphones 2 and Surface Earbuds". Microsoft Blog. Retrieved May 6, 2020.
- "Microsoft's new Surface Go 2 has a bigger display and better Intel processor". The Verge. Retrieved May 6, 2020.
- "Microsoft announces the Surface Book 3, Surface Go 2 and Surface Headphones 2". GSMArena. Retrieved May 6, 2020.
- Microsoft Surface Go 2 tech specs
- Configure your Surface Go 2
- Microsoft Surface Go 2 for Business tech specs
- Configure your Surface Go 2 for Business
- "Intel® Pentium® Gold Processor 4425Y (2M Cache, 1.70 GHz) Product Specifications". ark.intel.com. Retrieved May 13, 2020.
- "Intel® Core™ m3-8100Y Processor (4M Cache, up to 3.40 GHz) Product Specifications". ark.intel.com. Retrieved May 13, 2020.
- "Microsoft's new Surface Go 2 gets bigger display, more power". Windows Central. Retrieved May 6, 2020.
- "Microsoft unveils Surface Go 2: Release date, price, specs and battery life". Laptop Mag. Retrieved May 6, 2020.