|Wikinews has related news: Suresh Joachim breaks ironing world record|
|Wikinews has related news: Joachim to attempt breaking record for static cycling|
|Wikinews has related news: Daily Guinness attempts to return on talk show Live with Regis and Kelly|
|Wikinews has related news: Toronto and Rockettes kick into the records book|
Suresh Joachim Arulanantham is a Tamil Canadian film actor, producer, and multiple-Guinness World Record holder who has broken more than 60 world records set in several countries in attempts to benefit underprivileged children around the world.
In 1991, Suresh Joachim first discovered the Guinness Book of World Records. He was then inspired to break them himself, as it was the most obvious way he found for an average person like him to become famous.
Joachim's first record attempt involved running in his hometown of Colombo, Sri Lanka for at least a little bit every hour for 1000 consecutive hours, (August 19-September 26, 1996; 42 days), totaling a distance of 3,495 km.
On his second attempt for record breaking, Joachim traveled 225.44 km, up and down escalators at the Westfield Burwood Shopping Centre, Burwood, New South Wales, Australia. Joachim next balanced for 76 hours and 40 minutes at Vihara Maha Devi Park Open Air Stadium, in Sri Lanka.
Farthest distance run, whilst carrying a 4.5 kg brick in a nominated ungloved hand in an uncradled downward position was his next record. Joachim traveled 126.675 km around the Westfield Hornsby mall on Florence Street in Hornsby, New South Wales, Australia. He was unsuccessful the first time, when the brick slipped and cut his hand.
A broadcast by Joachim on Geethavaani Tamil Radio in Toronto, Ontario, Canada, lasted for a record 120 hours. It was broadcast between 4 p.m. on 23 June and 4 p.m. on 28 June 2003. This record was unsuccessfully challenged a few times by DJ Max Rushden of BBC Radio Cambridgeshire, who was aiming for 121 hours.
His wedding to Christa Rasanayagam on September 6, 2003 was held at Christ the King Catholic Church, Mississauga, Ontario. The wedding featured a record 79 bridesmaids, a record 47 groomsmen, and a record 60.09 m (197 ft 1 in) long wedding bouquet, held by the bride.
His next four records were all in Greater Toronto Area malls. On 28 November 2004, Joachim earned the record for quickest time reaching 100 miles on a treadmill, in 13 hours, 42 minutes and 33 seconds at the Square One Shopping Centre Mississauga. At the same time, he went the farthest distance in 24 hours on a treadmill, tallying a distance of 257.88 km (160.24 mi) from the 28th to the 29th. With running records in his collection, Joachim participated in the longest dance marathon by an individual. Set at the Dixie Outlet Mall in Mississauga, the 100-hour event lasted from February 16 to 20, 2005.
Joachim set the record for the longest ten-pin bowling marathon, at 100 hours. He broke this record at Playtime Bowl in Toronto from 8 to 12 June 2005.
On March 17, 2006, he set the world record for a couple dance marathon by dancing 31 hours consecutively with Tiffany Lesko. The dances performed included the waltz, quickstep, cha cha, samba, rumba, and jive.
Joachims recent record was a record for basketball dribbling distance in 24 hours. The attempt happened at Toronto's Elmbank Community Centre. Tyler Curiel has held the record of 174.46 km since 2003, accomplished at Tulane University.
Other Guinness-acknowledged recordsEdit
This section of a biography of a living person does not include any references or sources. (April 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
- Greatest distance covered in 24 hours while dribbling a basketball is 177.5 km (110.3 mi) at Vulkanhallen, Oslo, Norway on 30–31 March 2001
- Travelled a distance of 214.96 km (133.57 mi) in 48 hours on a treadmill at Crown Promenade, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia on 27–29 July 2002
- Travelled 86 km (53 mi) on a treadmill in 12 hours on 28 July 2002 at Crown Promenade, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
- The longest drumming marathon by an individual lasted for 84 hours and was achieved from 1 to 4 February 2004 at the Magic Factory, Zürich, Switzerland
- Travelled 659.27 km (409.65 mi) on a treadmill in one week at Waou Club Med Gym, Paris, France between 31 July and 7 August 2004
- Longest continuous crawl of 56.62 km (35.18 mi)
- Broke the Guinness World Record with Claudia Wavra of Germany for movie watching with a final time of 123 hours and 10 minutes on October 7, 2008. Both received $10,000 for their achievement.
- He produced and starred in a Tamil Indian film titled Sivappu Mazhai (2009) in attempt to break the record for the fastest shooting time for a feature film.
|2009||Sivappu Mazhai||Tamil||Nanthan||Guinness World Record for Fastest-Made Motion Picture (from scripting to screening in 11 days 23 hours and 45 minutes)|
|2015||Good Morning, Good Afternoon Good Evening||English||Siva||Guinness World Record for longest uncut film schedule January 2019|
- "Suresh Joachim breaks hand shaking world record". CityNews. 3 July 2011. Retrieved 15 November 2014.
- Henry, Michele (2008-01-15). "We're world class Guinness addicts". Toronto Star. Toronto, Ontario: Torstar Corporation. p. 1. Retrieved 2008-01-28.
- CNW: Dance Marathon Couple Archived 2007-02-25 at the Wayback Machine., 15 March 2006
- Chris Clay, "Record-breaker aims for another one", Mississauga News, 28 August 2006.
- Guinness World Records 2014. ISBN 978-1-908843-15-9.
- Guinness World Records 2014. ISBN 978-1-908843-15-9.