Suzanne Hubbell (née Gilbert; January 28, 1935 – October 13, 2018) was an American author. Her books A Country Year and A Book of Bees were selected by The New York Times Book Review as Notable Books of the Year. She also wrote for The New Yorker, the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, Smithsonian and Time, and was a frequent contributor to the "Hers" column of The New York Times.
- A Country Year: Living the Questions. New York: Random House (1986) ISBN 0-394-54603-2
- A Book of Bees: And How to Keep Them. Boston: Houghton Mifflin (1988) ISBN 0-395-88324-5
- On This Hilltop. New York: Ballantine Books (1991) ISBN 0-345-37306-5
- Broadsides from the Other Orders: A Book of Bugs. New York: Random House (1993) ISBN 0-679-40062-1
- Far-flung Hubbell. New York: Random House (1995) ISBN 0-679-42833-X
- Waiting for Aphrodite: Journeys into the Time Before Bones. Boston: Houghton Mifflin (1999) ISBN 0-395-83703-0
- Shrinking the Cat: Genetic Engineering Before We Knew About Genes. (2001)
- From Here to There and Back Again. Ann Arbor: University of Michigan Press (2004) ISBN 0-472-11419-0
Sue Hubbell was born and raised in Kalamazoo, Michigan. She studied biology. She was a librarian at Brown University until 1972, when she and her husband moved to the Missouri Ozarks. She also lived in Washington, D.C., and Milbridge, Maine. She was the sister of the author Bil Gilbert, who also writes about natural history. Hubbell died on October 13, 2018 at the age of 83 in Bar Harbor, Maine from complications of dementia.
- A bibliography of her books, articles, essays, introductions, forewords, and reviews
- Walter B. Hubbell (1851–1932), American writer
Notes and referencesEdit
- Time magazine archive
- Publishers Weekly Archived 2007-03-10 at the Wayback Machine, 28 February 1986
- Houghton Mifflin Books
- Library of Congress
- Missouri Conservationist Online Archived 2005-12-30 at the Wayback Machine Vol. 57, No. 1, January 1996
- Key West Literary Seminar Archived 2006-02-07 at the Wayback Machine
- Wonders of Nature Celebrated in New Book - The Ellsworth American Retrieved 2017-04-28.