Stuart Laing (diplomat)
This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (November 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Career as diplomatEdit
Laing graduated from Corpus Christi College, Cambridge in 1970 having studied Classics. He was appointed Master of his old college Corpus Christi on 1 October 2008 succeeding Oliver Rackham. He researches and writes on Arab and East African history and in 2012 he published, jointly with Robert Alston, Unshook till the end of time, a book on the history of Britain’s relationship with Oman. The degree of M.Phil. was conferred to him in 2013 for a thesis on the political history of Oman.
Laing is a keen amateur musician; he plays keyboard instruments and the oboe. His other recreations are desert travel and hill-walking. Laing is married to Sibella (daughter of Sir Maurice Henry Dorman, herself a graduate in History of Newnham College, Cambridge) and has a son and two daughters.
- [dead link]
- "News". Cambridge Network. 1 November 2016. Retrieved 25 November 2016.
- Unshook till the end of time : a history of relations between Britain & Oman, 1650-1970 / Robert Alston and Stuart Laing. London : Gilgamesh Publishing, 2012.
- Cambridge University Reporter No 6307, Vol cxliii No 30 (15 May 2013)
- Factors in the decisions by the sultans of Muscat and Zanzibar to end the slave trade and slavery in their dominions, 1820-1900 / Stuart Laing : University of Cambridge. Faculty of Asian and Middle Eastern Studies, 2012.
- "Master | Corpus Christi College". Corpus.cam.ac.uk. 1 October 2008. Archived from the original on 26 November 2016. Retrieved 25 November 2016.
Sir Ivan Callan
| High Commissioner to Brunei
Sir Ivan Callan
| Ambassador to Oman
Dr Noel Guckian
| Ambassador to Kuwait
| Master of Corpus Christi College, Cambridge
|This British diplomat-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|