Struther Arnott CBE FRS FRSE FIBiol FRSC (25 September 1934 – 20 April 2013) was a Scottish molecular biologist and chemist who specialised in cancer research. He was a Principal and Vice-Chancellor of the University of St Andrews.
|Born||25 September 1934|
|Died||20 April 2013(aged 78)|
Education and careerEdit
Struther Arnott was born in Larkhall, Lanarkshire, and educated at the Hamilton Academy (1945–52) where in 1952 he received the Academy's Gold Medal for General Scholarship and Silver Medal in Chemistry and in Mathematics, and from which school he won 5th place overall and 1st science place in the University of Glasgow Open Bursary Competition, 1952.
Following graduation (BSc (Chemistry and Mathematics), 1956, followed by PhD (Chemistry), 1960) Struther worked with the Biophysics Unit of King's College London, before his appointment as Professor of Molecular Biology at Purdue University, Indiana. At Purdue he served as Head (Chairman) of the Department of Biological Sciences, Vice-President for Research and Dean of the Graduate School. He returned to the United Kingdom to serve as Principal and Vice-Chancellor at St Andrews from 1986 until his resignation in December 1999.
Awards and honoursEdit
He held visiting fellowships at the University of Oxford and was a Fellow of King's College London. He was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society (FRS) in 1985, and of the Royal Society of Edinburgh in 1988, and was made a Commander of the Order of the British Empire in 1996. He was a member of the Advisory Council of the Campaign for Science and Engineering.
- Rees, Dai (2015). "Struther Arnott. 25 September 1934 — 20 April 2013". Biographical Memoirs of Fellows of the Royal Society. 61: 5–22. doi:10.1098/rsbm.2015.0011. ISSN 0080-4606.
- "Ex-St Andrews University principal dies at home - Education". Scotsman.com. Retrieved 23 April 2013.
- St Andrews University portrait Archived 9 September 2015 at the Wayback Machine
- Arnott, Struther (2006). "Historical article: DNA polymorphism and the early history of the double helix". Trends in Biochemical Sciences. 31 (6): 349–354. doi:10.1016/j.tibs.2006.04.004. ISSN 0968-0004. PMID 16678428.
- "Growing universities: How bad is big? ", Public Money & Management, Volume 12, Issue 3 July 1992, pages 53 – 59
- The CRUK Biomolecular Structure Group - biography, Struther Arnott Archived 10 September 2011 at the Wayback Machine Retrieved 20 October 2010
- "Professor Struther Arnott". .ic.ac.uk. Archived from the original on 25 February 2012. Retrieved 23 April 2013.
- "Advisory Council of the Campaign for Science and Engineering". Retrieved 11 February 2011.
Professor John Steven Watson
| Vice-Chancellor and
Principal of the University of St Andrews
Dr Brian Lang