Struer Municipality is a municipality (Danish, kommune) in Mid Jutland Region on the Jutland Peninsula in west Denmark. The municipality includes the island of Venø, and it covers an area of 245.90 square kilometres (94.94 sq mi). It has a total population of 21,576 (1 April 2014). Its mayor is Niels Viggo Lynghøj, a member of the Social Democrats party. The main town and the site of its municipal council is the city of Struer.
|Region||Mid Jutland Region|
The 472 metres (1,549 ft) long Oddesund Bridge (Oddesundbro) connects the municipality at the town of Oddesund Syd to the town of Oddesund Nord in Thyholm Municipality on Vendsyssel-Thy. Ferry service connects the municipality to the island of Venø every 20 minutes from Kleppen, 5 kilometres (3.1 mi) northwest of the town of Struer.
Denmark's smallest church, built ca. 1600, is located on the island of Venø. The island has a population of approx. 160, of which most work on the mainland. The island is 7.5 km long and 1.5 km at its widest point.
The city of StruerEdit
Struer's municipal council consists of 21 members, elected every four years.
Below are the municipal councils elected since the Municipal Reform of 2007.
|2005||10||2||1||1||11||25||73.9%||Martin Merrild (V)|
|2009||9||1||2||2||7||21||75.3%||Niels Viggo Lynghøj (A)|
|2013||8||2||1||1||9||78.7%||Mads Jakobsen (V)|
|2017||8||1||1||2||1||8||77.4%||Niels Viggo Lynghøj (A)|
|Data from Kmdvalg.dk 2005, 2009, 2013 and 2017|
- Kristian Ostergaard (1855 in Østergård - 1931) a Danish-American Lutheran pastor, educator and author, emigrated to the US in 1878.
- Jakob Lyng (1907 in Søndbjerg – 1995) a Danish fencer, competed at the 1948 and 1952 Summer Olympics
- Grethe Sønck (1929 in Hjerm – 2010) a Danish actress and singer
- Municipal statistics: NetBorger Kommunefakta, delivered from KMD aka Kommunedata (Municipal Data)
- Municipal mergers and neighbors: Eniro new municipalities map Archived 2007-10-11 at the Wayback Machine
- The Danish Folk High School and Its Reception in the United States: 1870s-1930s (Harold W. Stubblefield and Patrick Keane. Jossey-Bass Publishers. 1994)
- IMDb Database retrieved 22 May 2020