Steve DeAngelo (born June 12, 1958), is a cannabis rights activist and advocate for cannabis reform in the United States. He is the co-founder and CEO of Harborside, a cannabis dispensary with branches in Oakland and San Jose, California, Steep Hill lab cannabis testing laboratory, and the president and co-founder of The ArcView Group. DeAngelo and Harborside were the subject of the Discovery Channel documentary series Weed Wars, and were also featured on the premiere episode of CNN's Inside Man with Morgan Spurlock. In June 2015, DeAngelo was awarded the High Times Lester Grinspoon Lifetime Achievement Award in recognition for his four decades of activism in the cannabis reform movement.
June 12, 1958
|Alma mater||University of Maryland|
|Occupation||Chairman Emeritus of Harborside, Co-Founder of Harborside, Social Activist, Author, Professional Speaker, Visionary and Television Personality.|
|Awards||2015 High Times Lester Grinspoon Lifetime Achievement Award, 2016 Named one of the seven “Most Powerful People” in America’s cannabis industry by Fortune, 2017 Best Dispensary in California by SF Chronicle|
Steve DeAngelo began his career in activism in Washington, DC. After dropping out of school, he joined the Youth International Party where he organized July 4 smoke-ins to protest marijuana prohibition. After reading The Emperor Wears No Clothes, he partnered with author and activist Jack Herer on a national hemp tour to promote hemp and legal marijuana. DeAngelo launched the marketing, lobbying, and consulting firm CannaBe in California after co-founding Harborside Health Center in 2006. He recently founded The Last Prisoner Project, vowing not to stop until every last cannabis prisoner is freed.
- DeAngelo, Steve (2015). "The Cannabis Manifesto: A New Paradigm for Wellness". North Atlantic Books. p. 230. Missing or empty
- McKinley, Jesse. "Don't Call It 'Pot' in This Circle; It's a Profession". The New York Times. The New York Times. Retrieved September 21, 2015.
- "Cannabis Testing - Cannabis Laboratory Analysis". www.shopharborside.com. Retrieved May 8, 2018.
- Lowry, Brian. "Review: 'Inside Man'". Variety. Retrieved September 21, 2015.
- Downs, David. "California's biggest marijuana festival—the High Times Cannabis Cup — is ready to roll". SF Gate. San Francisco Chronicle blog. Retrieved September 21, 2015.
- "Steve DeAngelo to be Honored at Nor Cal Cannabis Cup". Stuff Stoners Like. Retrieved September 21, 2015.
- Harkinson, Josh. "Adventures of a Pot Pioneer". Mother Jones. Mother Jones. Retrieved September 22, 2015.
- Lee, Martin A. (August 13, 2013). Smoke Signals: A Social History of Marijuna. New York: Simon and Schuster. p. 354. ISBN 978-1439102619.
- Steve DeAngelo (2015). "The Cannabis Manifesto: A New Paradigm for Wellness". North Atlantic Books, Berkeley, CA.
- Hecht, Peter (April 7, 2014). Weed Land: Inside America's Marijuana Epicenter and How Pot Went Legit. Berkeley, CA: University of California Press. p. 25. ISBN 978-0520275430.
- McKinley, Jesse. "Don't Call It 'Pot' in This Circle; It's a Profession". The New York Times. Retrieved September 22, 2015.
- Romney, Lee. "Oakland protests U.S. attorney's crackdown on large medical marijuana dispensary". The Los Angeles Times. The Los Angeles Times. Retrieved September 22, 2015.