Stephen Donald Hopper AC FLS FTSE (born 18 June 1951) is a Western Australian botanist, graduated in Biology, specialising in conservation biology and vascular plants. He has written eight books, and has over 200 publications to his name. He was Director of Kings Park in Perth for seven years, and CEO of the Botanic Gardens and Parks Authority for five. He is currently Foundation Professor of Plant Conservation Biology at The University of Western Australia. He was Director of the Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew from 2006 to 2012.
On 1 January 2001, Hopper was awarded the Centenary Medal for his "service to the community". On 11 June 2012, Hopper was named a Companion of the Order of Australia for "eminent service as a global science leader in the field of plant conservation biology, particularly in the delivery of world class research programs contributing to the conservation of endangered species and ecosystems."
- Gondwanan heritage (1996)
with Jane Sampson:
- Endangered poison plants (1989)
with Anne Taylor:
with Bert and Babs Wells:
- Kangaroo paws and catspaws (1993)
with illustrator Philippa Nikulinsky:
- "Birthdays". The Guardian. 18 June 2014. p. 41.
- "Director (CEO & Chief Scientist) – Professor Stephen D Hopper AC FLS FTSE". History & Heritage. Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew. Archived from the original on 9 March 2014. Retrieved 8 March 2014.
- Brummitt, R. K.; C. E. Powell (1992). Authors of Plant Names. Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew. ISBN 1-84246-085-4.
- "Stephen Donald Hopper". Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet. Retrieved 11 June 2012.
- "Companion (AC) in the General Division of the Order of Australia – The Queen's Birthday 2012 Honours Lists" (PDF). Official Secretary to the Governor-General of Australia. 11 June 2012. p. 5. Archived from the original (PDF) on 16 June 2012.
- Hopper, Stephen D (1996), Gondwanan heritage : past, present, and future of the Western Australian biota, Surrey Beatty & Sons in association with Australian Systematic Botany Society and Kings Park and Botanic Garden, Western Australia, ISBN 978-0-949324-66-5
- Sampson, Jane; Hopper, Stephen; Rainbird, John; Western Australian Wildlife Research Centre (1989), Survey of endangered poison plants of Western Australia : field guide, Western Australian Department of Conservation and Land Management in association with the World Wildlife Fund Australia, retrieved 17 January 2016
- Taylor, Anne; Hopper, Stephen D; Western Australia. Department of Conservation and Land Management; Australia. Bureau of Flora and Fauna (1991), The banksia atlas (Repr. with amendments ed.), Australian Govt. Pub. Service, ISBN 978-0-644-07124-6
- Hopper, Stephen D; Wells, Babs; Wells, Bert; Western Australia. Department of Conservation and Land Management (1993), Kangaroo paws and catspaws : a natural history and field guide, Dept. of Conservation and Land Management, ISBN 978-0-7309-5913-7
- Nikulinsky, Philippa; Hopper, Stephen D; Nikulinsky, Philippa (2005), Soul of the Desert, Fremantle Arts Centre Press, ISBN 978-1-921064-06-7
- Nikulinsky, Philippa; Hopper, Stephen D (2008), Life on the rocks : the art of survival (Reissued casebound ed.), Fremantle Press, ISBN 978-1-921361-28-9
- IPNI. Hopper.
|This article about an Australian botanist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|