Stephen Boleslav Roman
Stephen Boleslav Roman (17 April 1921 – 23 March 1988) was a prominent Canadian mining engineer and mining executive of a Slovak origin. Business commentator Diane Francis described him as a self-made man in her book Controlling Interest. A 1967 profile in Fortune magazine said "Toronto teems with speculators who have made it big promoting oil, mines, and penny stocks, but no one has made it bigger than Stephen Boleslav Roman."Peter Newman profiled him in "Sometimes a great nation: will Canada belong to the 21st century?"
Stephen Boleslav Roman
|Born||April 17, 1921|
Veľký Ruskov, Czechoslovakia
|Died||23 March 1988 (aged 66)|
Markham, Ontario, Canada
|Known for||Rose to be president of Denison Mines, inducted in the Canadian Mining Hall of Fame|
Štefan Boleslav Roman was born in village Veľký Ruskov (now Nový Ruskov) in Slovakia. He emigrated to Canada when he was 16 years old. Since his youth he was strong connected to the Greek Catholic Church. He helped to found and organize the Slovak Catholic Eparchy of Saints Cyril and Methodius of Toronto. The monumental Cathedral of the Transfiguration of our Lord in Markham was funded and designed be him, modeling the structure on the church in Veľký Ruskov.
"Stephen Roman dead at age 66". The Northern Miner. 1988-03-28. Retrieved 2013-09-04.
Stephen B. Roman, the man who took control of a penny mining stock in 1953 and built it into one of the largest mining empires in Canada, has died. He was 66.
Diane Francis (1987). "Controlling interest: who owns Canada?". McClelland-Bantam. p. 99. ISBN 9780770422134. Retrieved 2013-09-04.
Stephen Boleslav Roman is one of that rare species among Canada's rich: he's a self-made man and an ideologue, who fiercely believes in Catholicism, capitalism, the emancipation of Slovakia, Denison Mines, and...
- "Businessmen around the globe". Fortune magazine. 1967. p. 68. Retrieved 2013-09-04.
Peter Charles Newman (1988). Sometimes a great nation: will Canada belong to the 21st century?. McClelland and Stewart. p. 255. ISBN 9780771067501. Retrieved August 2013. Check date values in:
- František Dancák: ROMAN, Štefan Boleslav - zoe.sk (Slovak)
- "Stephen B. Roman (1921 – 1988) – 1989 Canadian Mining Hall of Fame Inductee". Republic of Mining. Archived from the original on 2011-04-14.
- Patricia Burgess, Roland Turner (1988). "The Annual Obituary, 1988". St. James Press. p. 161. Retrieved 2013-09-04.
- George Wharton. "Great Lakes Fleet Page Vessel Feature -- Stephen B. Roman". Boatnerd. Archived from the original on 2011-04-14.