Steel Panthers II: Modern Battles is a 1996 computer wargame developed and published by Strategic Simulations. It is the sequel to Steel Panthers and the second entry in the Steel Panthers series. The game was designed by Gary Grigsby and Keith Brors.
|Steel Panthers II: Modern Battles|
|Producer(s)||Carl C. Norman|
Like its predecessor, Steel Panthers II was a commercial hit.
Following Steel Panthers' strong commercial performance, Steel Panthers II was a "major success", according to author Rusel DeMaria. Among other theories, he speculated that the deployment of tanks in Operation Desert Storm could have influenced its sales. Steel Panthers II was nominated as Computer Games Strategy Plus's 1996 wargame of the year, although it lost to that year's Battleground games: Shiloh, Antietam and Waterloo. It was also a nominee for CNET Gamecenter's "Strategy Game of the Year" award, which went to Civilization II.
William R. Trotter of PC Gamer US was largely positive toward Steel Panthers II, but felt that it was held back by its technical problems, glitches and oversights. He concluded, "If not for the numerous little flaws that keep it from realizing its own best intentions, this would have been my nominee for Wargame of the Year." In Computer Games Strategy Plus, Robert Mayer was less impressed: he considered it visually impressive but unrealistic, with numerous historical oversights. He nevertheless called it "a worthy successor to a very successful game".
Steel Panthers and Steel Panthers II were named, collectively, the 62nd best computer game ever by PC Gamer UK in 1997.
- Udell, Scott (June 20, 1996). "Steel Panthers II Preview". Computer Games Strategy Plus. Archived from the original on October 7, 1997.
- "Modern Warfare SSI Style!" (Press release). Sunnyvale, California: Strategic Simulations, Inc. November 1, 1996. Archived from the original on February 13, 1998.
- Miller, Patrick C. (February 1997). "A Penetrating Success". Computer Gaming World (151): 218, 219.
- Mayer, Robert (November 28, 1996). "Steel Panthers II: Modern Battles Review". Computer Games Strategy Plus. Archived from the original on November 7, 1997.
- Trotter, William R. (February 1997). "Steel Panthers II". PC Gamer US. Archived from the original on March 8, 2000.
- Morris, Daniel. "Steel Panthers II: Modern Battles". PC Games. Archived from the original on July 11, 1997.
- DeMaria, Rusel (December 2018). "Opportunity Knocks: The Story of SSI". High Score! Expanded: The Illustrated History of Electronic Games (3rd ed.). CRC Press. pp. 166–171. ISBN 978-0-429-77139-2.
- "Computer Games Strategy Plus announces 1996 Awards". Computer Games Strategy Plus. March 25, 1997. Archived from the original on June 14, 1997. Retrieved November 2, 2010.
- The Gamecenter Editors. "The Gamecenter Awards for 96". CNET Gamecenter. Archived from the original on February 5, 1997.
|author=has generic name (help)
- Flynn, James; Owen, Steve; Pierce, Matthew; Davis, Jonathan; Longhurst, Richard (July 1997). "The PC Gamer Top 100". PC Gamer UK (45): 51–83.