StartOS (formerly Ylmf OS) is a discontinued Chinese Linux distribution. StartOS is an operating system which is free and open-source software. In the beginning it was based on Ubuntu, but starting from version 4.0 it adopted custom package management (called YPK) and system installer, though the underlying live medium is still built using Ubuntu's Casper tool. Its user interface closely resembles that of Microsoft Windows XP. The distribution was originally not available in the English language, though shortly after the initial release in late 2009 an English-language version of Ylmf OS was released.
|Source model||Open source|
|Latest release||6.0 (beta)  / 4 July 2013|
|Latest preview||6.0 beta / 27 March 2012|
|Available in||Chinese and English|
|Package manager||Self-made YKPG|
|Kernel type||Monolithic (Linux)|
|Default user interface||GNOME|
Despite the very similar likeness to Windows XP's Luna theme—the default theme for Windows XP—Microsoft does not appear to be planning to take any sort of action against the operating system or its developers.
- 1.0 (based on Fedora 11)
- 1.15 (based on Ubuntu 9.04)
- 1.5 (based on Ubuntu 9.10)
- 2.0 (based on Ubuntu 9.10)
- 3.0 (based on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS)
- 4.0 (based on Xiange Linux, not available on the English Web site, but can be installed in English)
- 5.0 (beta, now called "StartOS")
- 5.1 (2013, based on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS ?)
- 6.0 (2013, beta)
- "StartOS". Retrieved 9 July 2020. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- YLMF Website (in Chinese)
- YLMF Forum
- 「Ylmf OS - YlmF Operating System」. ylmf.org. Retrieved 2010-01-20.
- StartOS at DistroWatch.com. DistroWatch.com: StartOS. Retrieved 2012-12-13.
- 「Ylmf OS looks so much like XP! - Ubuntu masquerading as XP」. gadgetmix.com. Retrieved 2010-01-20.
- 「Microsoft legal unfazed by Ubuntu Windows XP GUI clone」. arstechnica.com. Retrieved 2010-01-20.
- 「Infamous Chinese pirates launch Ubuntu that looks just like Windows XP」. downloadsquad.com. Retrieved 2010-01-20.
- 「Ylmf OS now available in English」. gadgetmix.com. Retrieved 2010-01-20.
- 「Microsoft Not Planning Legal Action Against Ylmf OS」. osnews.com. Retrieved 2010-01-20.
Media related to StartOS at Wikimedia Commons