This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
LaNeah Menzies (born May 27, 1983), better known by her stage name Starshell, is an American actress, songwriter, social entrepreneur and recording artist.
|Birth name||LaNeah Menzies|
|Born||May 27, 1983|
Life and careerEdit
Menzies was born to African-American and Brazilian parents and was raised in Lowell, Massachusetts.
Menzies began her career as a child actress and model. As a teenager, she pursued her music career and, soon after college, signed to Universal Music Group's Interscope Records Matriarch Record company. She co-penned "Love Lockdown" for pop superstar Kanye West, which debuted at number three on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 and went on to sell over three million copies. In 2009, she co-penned "I Can See in Color" and "Closer" for Mary J. Blige. The former was featured in the Oscar-nominated film, Precious, while the latter is featured on Blige’s album, Stronger with Each Tear. Menzies's first single, "Superluva", produced by Fernando Garibay and written by Menzies and Nire Alldai, was released in the summer of 2010. The single was followed by a retro-pop remix version produced by DJ Cassidy, entitled "Superluva" (Cass & Dubs Remix). Mary J Blige met Starshell — who helped write Kanye West’s “Love Lockdown” — through a producer Kendu knew. In 2010, Mary signed Starshell to her Matriarch Records label. Since then, she’s helped propel her career, bringing her to red carpet events and television appearances. Rumors of an affair with Kendu followed. Blige did not mention Starshell by name in her divorce filing, but she did claim that Isaacs spent more than $420,000 on a girlfriend. In the summer of 2012, Menzies toured with Jennifer Lopez and Enrique Iglesias on their Dance Again World Tour, as well as on Mary J. Blige and D'Angelo's Liberation Tour. Menzies released the first single, "Birthday Girl", via iTunes on February 7, 2012. Menzies's clothing line, Birthday Girl, consisting of a wide range of basics and was launched in 2013 with the help of Kickstarter. She also appeared in Law and Order: Special Victims Unit, Season 14, Episode 16: 'Funny Valentine' in February 2013.
Starshell is the trademark owner of Birthday Girl® and launched Birthday Girl World tech platform in 2016. Birthday Girl raised $1 million in seed funding in 2018.
In June 2013, Menzies partnered with the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention (AFSP) to raise awareness about suicide and suicide prevention. She was announced as the national spokesperson for the Foundation at AFSP’s annual Overnight Walk. She released a song with the campaign, "My Star," co-penned by Ne-Yo in tribute to her deceased sister who had also committed suicide.
|Year||Single||Peak chart positions||Album|
- World, Birthday Girl. "Get to know STARSHELL". Birthday Girl World.
- "Kanye West - Love Lockdown". Musicnotes.com.
- "RIAA – Gold & Platinum". Recording Industry Association of America. Nielsen Business Media Inc. August 18, 2010. Retrieved January 1, 2011.
- Martens, Todd (October 31, 2009). "Mary J. Blige on 'Precious' song 'I Can See in Color': 'I was damaged, in a good way'". L.A. Times.
- "Starshell - Superluva". iTunes. October 19, 2010.
- "Starshell - Superluva (Cass & Dubs Remix)". iTunes. February 1, 2011.
- "Starshell - Birthday Girl - Single Release". Interscope Artist Page. February 7, 2012.
- "Starshell 'Birthday Girl' Video Teaser: Kanye Collaborator Plays With Cake". AOL The Boom Box. February 1, 2012.
- World, Birthday Girl. "Birthday Girl World". Birthday Girl World.
- "New Music: Starshell – 'My Star'". Rap-Up.