Star Island (Miami Beach)
Star Island is a neighborhood in the city of Miami Beach on a man-made island in Biscayne Bay, Florida, United States. The island is south of the Venetian Islands and just east of Palm and Hibiscus islands.
Star Island, as seen from South Beach
|• Miami Beach Mayor||Dan Gelber|
|• Miami-Dade County Commissioner||Bruno Barreiro|
|• House of Representatives||Cynthia A. Stafford (D)|
|• State Senate||Gwen Margolis (D)|
|• U.S. House||Donna Shalala (D)|
|• Total||0.134 sq mi (0.35 km2)|
|• Land||0.134 sq mi (0.35 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0 km2) 0.0%|
|Time zone||UTC-05 (EST)|
|Area code(s)||305, 786|
Completed in 1922 by the Army Corps of Engineers by dredging sand, the land was initially owned by developer Carl Fisher, who purchased several land parcels of what would become the city of Miami Beach. It is accessible by land and barrier islands via the MacArthur Causeway.
Students from Star Island are served by the following schools of the Miami-Dade County Public Schools:
Celebrities who own or have owned homes on the island include Sean Combs, Emilio and Gloria Estefan, Don Johnson, Rosie O'Donnell, Xuxa, Shaquille O'Neal, and Phillip Frost. Tour guides and realtors have made false claims of some other celebrities having homes on Star Island, such as LeBron James, Rihanna, Jennifer Lopez, Julio Iglesias, Madonna, Sylvester Stallone and Elizabeth Taylor.
Rosie O’Donnell’s Star Island house (purchased in 1999) was the subject of an 1979 trial in which prosecutors alleged that it was being used by members of the Ethiopian Zion Coptic Church to run a marijuana smuggling ring. Some scenes from the 1994 movie The Specialist were filmed there.
- "Miami Marathon Mile by Mile Tour (Star Island is on Mile 2)" (PDF).
- Barrionuevo, Alexei (March 1, 2012). "The Sun Shines Again in Miami". The New York Times.
- "Forbes - The Ten Most Expensive Homes in the U.S. - 2005". Archived from the original on 2012-09-06.
- Barrionuevo, Alexei (March 1, 2012). "Passeio mostra mansão da Xuxa". Folha de S. Paulo.
- "Real Estate: Shaq's Home is on the Market for $29 Million".
- "Frost Art Museum History". Florida International University. Archived from the original on 6 April 2011. Retrieved 11 March 2011.
- "CNN - Showbuzz - May 4, 1999". Archived from the original on April 18, 2001.CS1 maint: unfit url (link)
- "O'Donnell buy Star Island home". The Vindicator. May 4, 1999.