March 31, 1932 |
Brooklyn, New York
|Occupation||hockey historian and broadcaster, New York City Subway historian, author, professor|
He can be seen beside Al Trautwig during MSG hockey intermissions for the New York Islanders, New Jersey Devils and New York Rangers on MSG and MSG Plus. He also provides general hockey analysis on MSG and writes columns for the network's website. In 2009, Fischler began hosting a feature, "Five For Fischler", on Hockey Night Live! which lists his Top Five in a random hockey topic. In the 1980s, he was a hockey commentator for The Radio Show on CBC Radio in Canada.
In addition to broadcasting, Fischler has authored or co-authored almost 100 books on hockey, baseball and even a few on the New York subway system. His books include: The Hockey Encyclopedia, Everybody's Hockey Book, Hockey Chronicle, The New NHL Encyclopedia, Cracked Ice: An Insider's Look at the NHL, and most recently MetroIce: A Century of Hockey in Greater New York, focusing on the Rangers, Islanders and Devils franchises. His most famous subway book is Uptown, Downtown. Fischler contributed to the 2017 documentary Only the Dead Know the Brooklyn Americans; having been a fan of the team as a young child before the team folded, he was one of the few living Americans fans to have witnessed the team firsthand.
On May 13, 2014, his wife Shirley -- a hockey journalist in her own right and Fischler's long-time collaborator on many of his works -- died of cancer at the age of 74.
- Stan Fischler Bio on MSG.com Archived 2011-01-02 at the Wayback Machine.
- "CBC Radio's Inside Track Is Off Track". The Gazette, December 10, 1994.
- "Hockey Maven Stan Fischler - Go-To Guy For NYC Subway History". Retrieved 6 June 2018.
- Barry, Sal. Interview: Hockey Documentary Filmmaker Dale Morrisey. PuckJunk. Retrieved December 20, 2017.
- "Fischler honored with Lester Patrick Award - News". NHL.com. 2018-06-06. Retrieved 2018-06-06.
- "Shirley Fischler, longtime Freeman columnist and pioneer, dies at 74". Retrieved 6 June 2018.