The Stadium Theatre Performing Arts Centre & Conservatory is a historic movie theater and concert venue and commercial building at 28 Monument Square in Woonsocket, Rhode Island. The complex consists of two connected sections, one housing the theater, the other offices, both with retail spaces on the ground floor. The theater was designed by Perry and Whipple of Providence and built in 1926.
|Location||Woonsocket, Rhode Island|
|Architect||Perry & Whipple|
|NRHP reference No.||76000006 |
|Added to NRHP||June 30, 1976|
Initial funding came from Mrs. Norbert Champeau, a widow with interest in the theater, but the project was soon taken over by Arthur I. Darman, a local industrialist. Although it lacked the opulence of theaters in larger cities, it was one of the most elaborately decorated performance spaces in Woonsocket.
The theatre's name comes from the "stadium" style of seating, which allowed everyone in the audience a good view of the stage.
The theatre showed x-rated movies in 1980s and closed in 1985.
In 2014, Rhode Island voters approved a bond measure to set aside $2 million to renovate the four-story structure adjacent to the theatre, to be used as dedicated space for costuming, sets, props, and performing arts classes.
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. January 23, 2007.
- "NRHP nomination for Stadium Building" (PDF). Rhode Island Preservation. Retrieved 2014-08-08.
- "Woonsocket's Stadium Theatre leads the way". Rhody Beat. The Cranston Herald. 7 August 2017. Retrieved 29 April 2018.
- Seoane, Sandy (15 October 2014). "Stadium Theatre looks to rehab newly purchased Stadium Building with $2 million from state bond". Valley Breeze. Retrieved 29 April 2018.
- "Rhode Island Creative and Cultural Economy Bonds, Question 5 (2014)". BallotPedia. Retrieved 29 April 2018.
- Statewide Historic Preservation Report for Woonsocket, Rhode Island published by the Rhode Island Historic Preservation Commission in September, 1976.
- Woonsocket, Rhode Island - A Centennial History 1888 - 1988 published by the Woonsocket Centennial Committee in 1988.
- Images of America - Woonsocket written by Robert R. Bellerose and published by Arcadia Publishing, Dover, NH, 1997.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Stadium Theater (Woonsocket, Rhode Island).|