St George Wharf
St George Wharf is a riverside development in Lambeth, London, England, located on the southern bank of the River Thames beside Vauxhall Bridge. St George Wharf Pier is the calling point for London River Services riverboat RB2 and RB6 services.
The 93,000-square-metre (1,000,000 sq ft) mixed-use development is located between the Vauxhall Cross road junction and river, and is near Vauxhall station. The River Effra, one of the Thames' many underground tributaries, empties into the main river close-by. This development should not be confused with the smaller St George's Wharf which is in Shad Thames, London SE1, close to Tower Bridge.
Construction of St George Wharf was completed in phases, with blocks opening between 2007-2010. St George Wharf Tower was the final block to complete, opening in 2012. The development comprises over 1,400 apartments, as well as offices, retail units and restaurants. It was designed by the architecture practice Broadway Malyan. It has twice won the Architects' Journal's 'Worst building in the world' award.
St George Wharf comprises the following blocks:
- Admiral House
- Anchor House
- Aquarius House
- Armada House
- Bridge House (18 St George Wharf, SW8 2LP/Q)
- Drake House
- Ensign House (12 St George Wharf, SW8 2LU)
- Flagstaff House
- Fountain House
- Galleon House
- Hamilton House
- Hanover House (7 St George Wharf, SW8 2JA)
- Hobart House
- Jellicoe House
- Kestrel House
- Kingfisher House
- Sentinel Point
- The Tower
The M&E throughout the complex is maintained by Henshall and Sheehy Support Services (www.hssupport.co.uk)
At 07:57 GMT on 16 January 2013, a helicopter collided with a crane being used in the construction of the St George Wharf Tower. The helicopter crashed in nearby Wandsworth Road, killing the pilot. One person on the ground also died, and a number of others were injured.
- "St George's Wharf". e-architect. Retrieved 14 October 2017.
- "The Apartments". My London Home. Retrieved 14 October 2017.
- "St Georges Wharf, London - Vauxhall Tower - e-architect". e-architect. 31 March 2012. Retrieved 5 May 2016.
- "London helicopter crash: Two die in Vauxhall crane accident". BBC Online. 16 January 2013. Retrieved 16 January 2013.
- bdonline.co.uk. "Bottom of the barrel - Carbuncles 2006". Retrieved 11 September 2014.