St Andrews Rail Link
Located in Scotland, The St Andrews Rail Link (StARLink) Campaign was established in 1989 with the aim of reconnecting St Andrews to the railway. The historical St Andrews Railway, which had connected St Andrews to the mainline via Leuchars Junction was closed on 6 January 1969.
Unlike the earlier closure of the Anstruther & St Andrews Railway in 1965, the St Andrews Railway was not recommended for closure in the (1963) Beeching Report. The closure, ordered four years' sequel to Beeching's departure in 1965, was ordered by Richard Marsh, Minister for Transport in the 1964-1970 (Labour) government of Prime Minister Harold Wilson, and whilst some Beeching closures did take place sequel to the departure of Beeching in 1965, the St Andrews closure was not an instance of such.
The original reinstatement plan espoused by StARLink was simply a reestablishment of the historical Leuchars - St Andrews line but since the publication in 2012 of a report by Tata Steel Rail Consultancy StARLink now advocates an entirely new 21st-century layout with a twin-cord high-speed rail link travelling west and southwards via Cupar and northwards via Leuchars. StARLink has estimated that the railway could be reinstated for £76 million.
This line has been identified by Campaign for a Better Transport as a priority 1 candidate for reopening.
- Hajducki, A., Jodeluk, M., Simpson, A. (2009). The Anstruther & St Andrews Railway. Usk, Monmouthshire: Oakwood Press. ISBN 978 0 85361 673 3.
- Holland, J (2013). Dr Beeching's Axe: 50 Years on : Illustrated Memories of Britain's Lost Railways. Newton Abbot: David & Charles. 169. ISBN 978 1 4 4630 267 5.
- British Transport Commission (1963). The Reshaping of British Railways. London: Her Majesty's Stationery Office.
- Hajducki, A., Jodeluk, M., Simpson, A. (2008).) The St Andrews Railway. Usk, Monmouthshire: Oakwood Press. ISBN 978 0 85361 687 0.
- Alexander, M. (2013). British Rail, not Dr Beeching, closed St Andrews branch line. Available: http://www.thecourier.co.uk/news/local/fife/british-rail-not-dr-beeching-closed-st-andrews-branch-line-1.79294. Last accessed 24 September 2015
- Holland, J (2013). Dr Beeching's Axe: 50 Years on : Illustrated Memories of Britain's Lost Railways. Newton Abbot: David & Charles. 186. ISBN 978 1 4 4630 267 5.
- Tata Steel Projects. (2012). St Andrews Rail Link - High Level Report. Available: http://www.starlink-campaign.org.uk/page8/page8.html. Last accessed 24 September 2015
- "Optimism at St Andrews rail link feasibility study". BBC News Channel. London, England: BBC. 2012-05-11. Retrieved 12 May 2012.