St. Theresa of Avila Cathedral, Subotica
The Cathedral of St. Theresa of Avila (Serbian and Croatian: Katedrala Svete Terezije Avilske, Hungarian: A szabadkai Szent Teréz székesegyház) is a Roman Catholic cathedral and minor basilica located in Subotica, Serbia, the seat of the Diocese of Subotica. It is dedicated to Saint Theresa of Avila.
|Cathedral of St. Theresa of Avila|
Serbo-Croatian: Katedrala Svete Terezije Avilske
|Denomination||Roman Catholic (Latin)|
|Status||Cathedral and minor basilica|
|Dedication||Theresa of Avila|
|Heritage designation||Monument of Culture of Great Importance|
|Length||61 metres (200 ft)|
|Width||26 metres (85 ft)|
|Height||64 metres (210 ft)|
|Diocese||Diocese of Subotica|
The Cathedral was built between 1773 and 1779 in the baroque style. At the time, Subotica was part of the Habsburg Monarchy. The building was designed by architect Franz Kaufmann from Pest. The altar is decorated with several paintings by Josef Schoefft, one painting of the Holy Family by Kasper Schleibne, and one painting of the True Cross by Emmanuel Walch.
The building is 61 metres (200 ft) long and 26 metres (85 ft) wide. The nave is 18 metres (59 ft) tall, while the bell towers are 64 metres (210 ft) tall. On the roof of the building, between the two bell towers, is a statue of Virgin Mary. The pulpit was built in 1808. The pipe organ was installed in 1897 and renovated in 1997. New renovation works are planned for 2015.
The whole interior of the church was renovated in 1972-73 for the bicentennial of the building. The building was declared the Monument of Culture of Great Importance in 1973. Pope Paul VI granted the title of Minor basilica to the cathedral on 29 April 1974.
- "Cathedral of St. Teresa of Avila". gcatholic.org. 12 February 2015. Retrieved 20 February 2015.
- "Subotička stolna crkva (katedrala) svete Terezije". Diocese of Subotica. Retrieved 23 February 2015.
- Fehér, Rózsa; Lukács, Melinda; Halász, Gyula (24 January 2015). "Mennyi pénz jut a könyvtárakra?" [How much money for the libraries?] (in Hungarian). Magyar Szó online. Retrieved 23 February 2015.
- "ЦРКВА ТЕРЕЗЕ АВИЛСКЕ" [Church of Saint Teresa of Avila]. Institute for Monument Protection of Serbia. Retrieved 23 February 2015.
- Mihályi, Katalin (7 October 2014). "A magyar kultúra, irodalom útvonalán Szabadkán" [The Hungarian culture, literature route Subotica] (in Hungarian). Magyar Szó online. Retrieved 23 February 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Catholic cathedral of St. Theresia of Avila (Subotica).|