This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Genres||Indie rock, rock|
Florian "Flo" Weber
Rüdiger "Rüde" Linhof
|Past members||Andi Erhard|
The band was founded in 1996 by Peter "Balboa" Brugger (guitar (references?), vocals), Florian "Rakete" Weber (drums, vocals), and Rüdiger "Rüde" Linhof (bass). They took their original name, Stiller, from their former football manager, Hans Stiller, at SV Germering. They later changed their name because a different band called Stiller owned the rights to this name. The term Sportfreunde literally translates to friends in sports and is also used in names of sports clubs (e.g. Sportfreunde Siegen).
Sportfreunde Stiller's track "Independent" from Die gute Seite was featured in the video game FIFA 2003.
In 2006 the band wrote "'54, '74, '90, 2006", a fan hymn for the German World Cup squad which became a number one hit in Germany; the song commemorates West German championships in the 1954, 1974, and 1990 World Cups. After Germany lost in the semi-final against Italy on 4 July 2006, the song was reworked as "'54, '74, '90, 2010" in anticipation of the 2010 FIFA World Cup in South Africa, which they subsequently lost.
Their new album "La Bum" was released on 3 August 2007 (and reached the number 1 spot in Germany) with their single "Alles Roger" debuting on 20 July 2007 (reaching number 22 in Germany). The album title is an anagram of album. The band was also nominated once again for the 2007 MTV Europe Music Awards award for German Act of the year.
The entire La Bum album (bonus track edition) was added to the American iTunes Store in early 2008.
The song "'54, '74, '90, 2010" is featured as a downloadable track in the game Guitar Hero World Tour.
In 2009, Sportfreunde Stiller was the sixth German band to record an album for the MTV Unplugged series. The album includes adaptations of old songs, covered songs and new songs alike. Although titled MTV Unplugged in New York, the album was actually recorded during a concert at Bavaria Film Studios, Munich.
In 2012, Sportfreunde Stiller announced they would be trying out new songs live at festivals that summer, suggesting there may be a new studio album in the works. This album, titled New York, Rio, Rosenheim, was eventually released in May 2013.
In 2016, their single "Das Geschenk" debuted at number 1 in Austria, and also reached number 15 in Germany and number 58 in Switzerland.
- EP Macht doch was ihr wollt, ich geh jetzt (Do Whatever You Want, I'm Leaving)
- EP Thonträger (Sound Storage Medium)
- Maxi "Wellenreiten '54" (Surfing '54)
- Maxi "Fast wie von selbst" (Almost By Itself)
- LP So wie einst Real Madrid (Like Once Real Madrid)
- Maxi "Heimatlied" (Homesong)
- Split-Single "Dancing With Tears In My Eyes" with Readymade
- Split-Single "Friday I'm In Love" with Readymade
- Maxi "Ein Kompliment" (A Compliment)
- LP Die gute Seite (The Up-side)
- Maxi "Komm schon" (Come On!)
- Maxi "Tage wie dieser" (Days Like These)
- Split-Single "Schwule Mädchen" (Gay Girls) with Readymade (Ready Sport Go!3 Tour)
- Maxi "Ans Ende denken wir zuletzt" (The End Is the Last Thing on Our Minds)
- DVD: Ohren zu und durch (Close Your Ears and Go Through with It)
- Maxi: "Siehst du das genauso?" (Do You See It the Same Way?)
- LP: Burli (Little Boy)
- Maxi: "Ich Roque" feat. Roque Santa Cruz
- Maxi: "1. Wahl" (First Choice)
- Maxi: "1. Wahl (2. Wahl)" (First Choice(Second Choice))
- Maxi: "Ein kleiner Schritt (live)" (A Small Step)
- LP: Live
- LP: You Have to Win Zweikampf
- Maxi: '54,'74,'90,2006 (was the 5th best-selling album in Germany of 2006)
- Maxi: "Pogo In Togo"
- Maxi: "Eine Liebe, die nie Endet" (A Love That Never Ends)
- LP: La Bum (was the 94th best-selling album in Germany of 2007)
- Maxi: "Alles Roger" (Everything's Fine)
- Maxi:"(Tu nur das) was dein Herz dir sagt" (Do Only What Your Heart Tells You to Do)
- Maxi: "Antinazi Bund" (Anti-nazi Alliance) stand-alone single, not included on the La Bum album
- Maxi: "Advent, Advent" exclusively released via fan club newsletter in December 2007.
- LP: MTV Unplugged in New York(was the 14th best-selling album in Germany of 2009)
- Maxi: Ein Kompliment (Unplugged) (was the 26th best-selling single in Germany of 2009)
- LP: New York, Rio, Rosenheim
- Maxi: Applaus, Applaus
- Maxi: New York, Rio, Rosenheim
- LP: Sturm & Stille
- Maxi: Das Geschenk
- Maxi: Raus in den Rausch
- "Sportfreunde Stiller - Das Geschenk - austriancharts.at". Hung Medien. Retrieved 22 September 2016.