Spenser Mango (born July 6, 1986) is an American Greco-Roman wrestler. He has represented the United States in numerous international competitions including the 2008 and 2012 Olympics. At the 2008 Summer Olympics, he competed in the 55 kg weight class. He won his first match against Romanian, Virgil Munteanu, before losing the South Korean, Park Eun-chul.
Mango (left) at the 2012 Olympics against Mingiyan Semenov
|Born||July 6, 1986|
St. Louis, Missouri, United States
|Height||1.57 m (5 ft 2 in)|
|Weight||59 kg (130 lb)|
|Club||Gator USOEC Marquette|
Coming into the 2012 Summer Olympics, he was the top-ranked American in his weight class (55 kg/121 lbs). He qualified for the 2012 Summer Olympics after winning at the U.S. Olympic Trials. Mango lost in the preliminary round against Azerbaijan's Rovshan Bayramov 0–3 without any technical points scored. He was placed in the first repechage round, where he lost to Russia's Mingiyan Semenov without technical points again, preventing him from having a chance of achieving a medal.
He announces his retirement from wrestling April 9 at the 2016 Olympic Team Trials by taking off his shoes and leaving them in the center of the mat.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Spenser Mango.|
- Spenser Mango. sports-reference.com
- Abbott, Gary. "Three first-time national champions headline U.S. Greco-Roman Nationals". kocosports.com. Retrieved August 31, 2011.
- Warsinskey, Tim (April 10, 2010). "Spenser Mango cruises at FILA Cadet Nationals wrestling tournament". Plain Dealer Reporter.
- "Spenser Mango". USA Wrestling. Retrieved August 31, 2011.
- "- 55kg men results - Wrestling Greco-Roman - Beijing 2008 Olympics". www.olympic.org. Retrieved March 10, 2016.
- "Current U.S. Senior Rankings". Themat.com. Retrieved August 31, 2011.
- Spenser Mango, TheMat.com
- Spenser Mango, TeamUSA.org, United States Olympic Committee
- For wrestler Spenser Mango, weight is first opponent, USA Today. June 22, 2012