Spanish Federation of Municipalities and Provinces
The Spanish Federation of Municipalities and Provinces (FEMP) is a Spanish association of local entities that groups town councils, provincial councils, insular councils and insular cabildos. Approximately 7,331 entities are represented.
|Federación Española de|
Municipios y Provincias
Logotype of the FEMP
|Formed||April 2, 1985|
The founding and statutory aims of the FEMP are the promotion and defense of the autonomy of the Local Entities; The representation and defense of the general interests of Local Entities before other Public Administrations; The development and consolidation of the European spirit at the local level based on autonomy and solidarity among Local Authorities; Promoting and fostering friendly relations and cooperation with Local Authorities and their organizations, especially in the European, Ibero-American and Arab areas; The provision, directly or through companies or entities, of all kinds of services to the Local Corporations or to the entities dependent on them and any other purpose that directly or indirectly affects the Federation's partners.
The FEMP was constituted under the provisions of Additional Provision 5 of Law 7/1985, of April 2, Regulator of the Bases of Local Regime and was declared a Public Utility Association by agreement of the Council of Ministers on June 26, 1985. It is the Spanish section of the Council of European Municipalities and Regions (CEMR), and is the official headquarters of the Ibero-American Organization of Intermunicipal Cooperation (ICCO).
The FEMP maintains relations with federations of local entities of autonomic scope following a voluntary pattern, for which a protocol that specifies the relation is signed. There are 17 federations with which this type of protocol has been signed:
- Andalusian Federation of Municipalities and Provinces, in the Autonomous Community of Andalusia.
- Aragonese Federation of Municipalities, Counties and Provinces, in the Autonomous Community of Aragón.
- Asturian Federation of Councils, in the Autonomous Community of Asturias.
- Federation of Local Entities of the Balearic Islands, in the Autonomous Community of the Balearic Islands.
- Canary Islands Federation of Municipalities, in the Autonomous Community of the Canary Islands.
- Federation of Municipalities of Cantabria, in the Autonomous Community of Cantabria.
- Regional Federation of Municipalities and Provinces of Castilla y León, in the Autonomous Community of Castile and León.
- Federation of Municipalities and Provinces of Castilla-La Mancha, in the Autonomous Community of Castilla-La Mancha
- Federation of Municipalities of Catalonia, in the Autonomous Community of Catalonia.
- Federation of Municipalities and Provinces of Extremadura, in the Autonomous Community of Extremadura.
- Galician Federation of Municipalities and Provinces, in the Autonomous Community of Galicia.
- Federation of Municipalities of Madrid, in the Autonomous Community of Madrid.
- Federation of Municipalities of the Region of Murcia, in the Autonomous Community of Murcia.
- Navarrese Federation of Municipalities and Councils, in the Autonomous Community of Navarre.
- Riojan Federation of Municipalities, in the Autonomous Community of La Rioja.
- Association of Basque Municipalities-EUDEL, in the Autonomous Community of the Basque Country.
With the reform of the procedure of voting of the census of Spanish residents abroad, the institutional participation in the local administration by the 2,406,611 Spanish citizens abroad is separated from the municipal elections and is channeled through its own mechanisms such as the Councils of Spanish Residents Abroad, thus generating the challenge of incorporating these Councils as other local Entities as full members of the Federation or in the case of the General Council of Spanish Citizenship Abroad as an Honor partner.
Presidents of the FEMPEdit
The Presidents have been:
- Pedro Aparicio Sánchez (1980–1983)
- Ramón Sainz de Varanda (1983–1985)
- Tomás Rodríguez Bolaños (1985–1991)
- Francisco Vázquez Vázquez (1991–1995)
- Rita Barberá Nolla (1995–2003)
- Francisco Vázquez Vázquez (2003–2006)
- Heliodoro Gallego Cuesta (2006–2007)
- Pedro Castro Vázquez (2007–2011)
- Juan Ignacio Zoido (2011–2012)
- Íñigo de la Serna (2012–2015)
- Abel Caballero (2015–present)
- "Statistics of the Register of Spanish residents abroad 2017".
- Order AEC / 2172/2010, of July 13, which regulates the constitution, election and operation of the Councils of Spanish residents abroad.
- Article 1. of the Statutes of the FEMP: "The Spanish Federation of Municipalities and Provinces is an Association constituted by Municipalities, Islands, Provinces and other Local Authorities that voluntarily decide it"
- "Los alcaldes aún tienen que elegir a su presidente: será el 19 de septiembre". La Vanguardia. Retrieved 2017-08-26.
- "Abel Caballero, elegido nuevo presidente de la FEMP". ELMUNDO (in Spanish). Retrieved 2017-08-26.
Media related to Federación Española de Municipios y Provincias at Wikimedia Commons