"Soy" (Spanish pronunciation: [soj]; English: "I Am") is a song recorded by Argentine singer Lali serving as the lead single for her second studio album Soy and was released on May 5, 2016. The song was written by Espósito along with music producers Pablo Akselrad, Luis Burgio and Gustavo Novello, and was produced by 3musica. The song reached number 1 on the official chart of the Lista 40
|Single by Lali|
|from the album Soy|
|Released||May 5, 2016|
|Lali singles chronology|
Background and releaseEdit
In March 2016, Lali Espósito released "Unico" as the intended first single of her second studio album, Soy. Espósito said that the song is "a simple but deep definition to understand what it means to be oneself. [The lyrics] are my thoughts, my joys, my pains, stories and beliefs made song; music that makes us feel alive, that makes us be". The song became the Espósito's first No. 1 hit on the Argentina Lista 40.
Espósito performed "Soy" for the first time in TV on May 30, 2016 at Showmatch's 27th-season premiere along with "Unico". The performance, which was ranked as one of the best moments of the night, received positive reviews. Diario Veloz stated that "Espósito's figure emerged from the chiaroscuro caused by the lighting effects and joined her dancers on an explosive performance". El Trece's official website admitted that "a lot of Bailando por un Sueño contestants would love to do something as similar [as Espósito did] to stand out and get to the finals." On August 7, 2016, Espósito performed a medley of "Unico", "Boomerang" and "Soy" at Susana Giménez. On October 27, 2016 Espósito performed "Boomerang" and "Soy" at the eleventh season of Bailando por un Sueño Argentina, where she appeared on a María del Cerro's performance.
The lyric video of the song was uploaded to Espósito's official Vevo channel on May 18, 2016. Directed by Juan Ripari, the music video made its premiere on July 1, 2016 on Vevo. With a contagious rhythm, the video is fully consistent with the lyrics of this very emotional song. "SOY" talks about what Espósito always wanted to be and now she is. The song tells about how it was the trajectory of her feelings while she was living her dream. The video shows part of her childhood with how she danced in front of the mirror dancing and singing. "SOY" also has its sensual part where she gives us incredible choreography. She mixed different types of dance and lighting while presenting her professional dancers and musicians. We can also listen to the fusion of various musical genres such as pop, dance, and disco, transmitting to her audience different emotions.
For the 2016 Argentina Kids' Choice Awards, "Soy" won in the category for Favorite Latin Song. The song also won a Quiero Award for Best Female Video, while being nominated for Video of the Year and Best Instagrammer Artist Video. "Soy" received a nomination for the 19th Annual Gardel Awards.
|Argentina Kids' Choice Awards||Favorite Latin Song||Won|||
|Quiero Awards||Video of The Year||Nominated|||
|Best Female Video||Won|
|Best Instagram Artist Video||Nominated|
|Gardel Awards||Song of the Year||Nominated|||
|Argentina National Songs (Monitor Latino)||5|
|Ecuador Pop Songs (Monitor Latino)||15|
|Worldwide||May 5, 2016||Digital download||Sony Music|||
|Latin America||June 14, 2016||Contemporary Hit Radio|||
|Poland||November 21, 2016|||
- "Soy (Comentarios Track by Track) by Lali". Claromúsica. Archived from the original on August 6, 2016. Retrieved May 26, 2015.
- "Lista del 04/06/2016". Prisa. Retrieved June 7, 2016.
- "Cinco momentos de la vuelta de "ShowMatch"". El País (Uruguay). Retrieved May 31, 2016.
- "El explosivo cierre de Lali Espósito a la primera noche de ShowMatch". Diario Veloz. Retrieved May 31, 2016.
- "¡Sos única! Lali Espósito la rompió en Showmatch con un show deslumbrante". El Trece. Retrieved May 31, 2016.
- "Lali Espósito: "Único", "Boomerang" y "Soy"". Telefe. Retrieved August 8, 2016.[permanent dead link]
- "Lali Esposito Releases Official Video "Soy"". popenespanol.com. July 9, 2016. Retrieved July 15, 2016.
- "Lali Espósito, Axel y Julián Serrano, los grandes ganadores de los Kids' Choice Awards Argentina 2016". Los Andes (in Spanish). Retrieved October 20, 2016.
- "Se viene la 8° edición de los Premios Quiero: votá a tus favoritos". Ciudad (in Spanish). Retrieved December 17, 2016.
- Cobo, Leila (May 10, 2017). "Abel Pintos Leads Premios Gardel Nominations". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved May 10, 2017.
- "Top 20 Nacional Argentina – Del 6 al 12 de Junio, 2016" (in Spanish). Monitor Latino. June 6, 2017. Retrieved April 30, 2017.
- "Top 20 Pop Ecuador". Monitor Latino. Archived from the original on June 17, 2016. Retrieved June 16, 2016.CS1 maint: unfit url (link)
- "Soy - Single by Lali". iTunes Store. Retrieved May 31, 2016.
- "Lali Espósito - Soy". LOS40 (Argentina). Retrieved December 11, 2016.
- "Lali, "Soy" at HitPlaneta on Muzyczne Radio". YouTube. Retrieved December 11, 2016.