Southern Living is a lifestyle magazine aimed at readers in the Southern United States featuring recipes, house plans, garden plans, and information about Southern culture and travel. It is published by Birmingham, Alabama–based Southern Progress Corporation, a unit of Meredith Corporation.
|Company||Southern Progress Corporation|
|Based in||Birmingham, Alabama|
The magazine was started in 1966 by The Progressive Farmer Company, the publisher of Progressive Farmer magazine. In 1980, the company changed its name to Southern Progress Corporation to reflect its increasingly diverse business, and in 1985, it was purchased by Time, Inc. for $498 million. In 2017 Time, Inc. was purchased by the Meredith Corporation.
One of the major topics in Southern Living is food, and since 1979, the magazine has published a popular Annual Recipes book each year.
Southern Living regularly features floorplans, and over the magazine's history, a number of these have become popular home styles in the Southeast. Many of these plans are available for purchase as construction blueprints from the company's website.
Southern Living at HomeEdit
In 2001, Southern Progress Corporation started a party-plan direct marketing company called Southern Living at Home. The products available at the parties include exclusive lines of home accessories and dishware seen in or inspired by Southern Living as well the various books and magazines produced by the company.
In April 2010, Southern Living at Home introduced its new name: "Willow House".
- "eCirc for Consumer Magazines". Audit Bureau of Circulations. June 30, 2011. Retrieved December 1, 2011.
- Robert Lee Brewer (August 5, 2014). 2015 Writer's Market: The Most Trusted Guide to Getting Published. F+W Media. p. 580. ISBN 978-1-59963-860-7. Retrieved March 14, 2016.
- "Top 100 U.S. Magazines by Circulation" (PDF). PSA Research Center. Archived from the original (PDF) on November 15, 2016. Retrieved February 6, 2016.
- "Time, Inc". Time Warner. January 16, 2007. Retrieved March 2, 2007.
- "Meredith buying Time Inc. for about $1.8 billion". AP News. 2017-11-27. Retrieved 2019-12-15.
- Annual Recipes 1979
- Southern Living house plans
- About Southern Living at Home
- Southern Living
- Southern Progress Corporation
- Southern Living at HOME
- Voices of Oklahoma interview with Charles Faudree. First person interview conducted on October 8, 2012, with Charles Faudree, interior designer featured in Southern Living.