South Side Weekly
The South Side Weekly, previously known as the Chicago Weekly News and Chicago Weekly, is an American alternative newspaper based in Woodlawn on the of South Side of Chicago. It was established in 1995 under the Chicago Weekly News title and covers arts, culture, and politics.
|Publisher||South Side Weekly Publishing|
|Founded||1995 as Chicago Weekly News|
Chicago, Illinois, U.S.
|Circulation||10,000/issue (non-special issues)|
The paper is produced by an all-volunteer editorial staff, composed largely of University of Chicago students. The paper is distributed around the South Side each Wednesday in the fall, spring, and winter, with breaks during April and December. Over the summer, the Weekly publishes monthly, occasionally bi-monthly.
Known as Chicago Weekly News until closing operations in the winter of 2002, a newly branded Chicago Weekly resumed operations in 2003, as a result of a co-publishing partnership with university alumni-founded Newcity. Under this new partnership, a copy of Newcity would come inserted in the middle of each Chicago Weekly issue.
The paper covers arts and culture on the South Side of Chicago through coverage and criticism, and follows South Side news stories that are largely ignored by mainstream Chicago media. It includes feature-length narrative journalism, essays, and a weekly calendar of cultural events.
The South Side Weekly produces an annual showcase issue of the South Side's various neighborhoods called Best of the South Side.
Each winter, the Weekly releases a housing guide. The issue features a variety of articles on topics including affordable housing, renter's rights, development, and homelessness.
Each spring, the Weekly releases an arts guide, featuring a print gallery comprising submitted art from South Side-based artists. Articles in this issue focus on arts coverage, both reviews and longform pieces.
- "South Side Weekly Media Kit Fall 2013" (PDF). South Side Weekly. Retrieved October 5, 2013.
- "About—South Side Weekly". South Side Weekly. Retrieved February 9, 2015.
- Schonwald, Josh (February 6, 2003). "Chicago Weekly News returns with NewCity coverage". University of Chicago Chronicle. Retrieved October 10, 2007.
- "College Report: Rough ride for student rags". University of Chicago Magazine. April 2004. Retrieved October 10, 2007.
- Qiu, Linda (October 4, 2013). "Weekly severs ties with Newcity, charts own path". The Chicago Maroon. Retrieved October 5, 2013.
- "About". South Side Weekly. September 2013. Retrieved October 5, 2013.
- "Best of the South Side: Chicago Weekly's annual culture fest returns". Chicago Weekly. September 30, 2012. Retrieved April 8, 2013.
- "Best of the South Side". South Side Weekly. February 3, 2015. Retrieved February 10, 2015.
- "Spring Arts Issue 2016". South Side Weekly. March 8, 2016. Retrieved May 25, 2016.