South Mecklenburg High School
This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
South Mecklenburg High School (founded 1959) is a public secondary school located in Charlotte, North Carolina. It is part of the Charlotte Mecklenburg School District. Locally it is known as "South Meck" (or simply just “South”). Its mascot is the Sabre and the school colors are red, black, and white.
|South Mecklenburg High School|
8900 Park Road
|School district||Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools|
|Principal||Glenn Starnes II|
|Student to teacher ratio||19.57|
|Color(s)||Red, Black, White|
|Rival||Myers Park High School, Charlotte Catholic High School|
Several South Meck teachers and counselors hold National Board Certification, with many more working towards certification. The faculty teacher pages can be found on South Meck High School's web page.
Academic programs and servicesEdit
Listed below are the Academic Programs and Services that South Mecklenburg High School provides:
- Advanced Placement
- Advanced Studies & Talent Development
- Arts Education
- Career and Technical Education
- Child Nutrition Services
- Co-Curricular Activities
- Driver's Education
- English Language Learner Services
- Enhancing Education Through Technology EETT
- Exceptional Children
- Extended Learning Programs
- Graduation Project
- Graphic Production Center
- International Baccalaureate (IB)
- International Center
- Magnet Programs
- Parent University
- School Counseling Services
- School Psychology Services
- Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM)
- Student Assistance
- Student Discipline and Behavior Support
- Student Services
- Talent Development & Advanced Studies
- Title I
The South Mecklenburg Sabre's are affiliated with the NCHSAA and compete in the 4A division, which is North Carolina's highest classification. Currently South Meck is in the So. Meck 8 4A League conference. Throughout the years South Meck has produced many State Championship teams, as well as Individual State Champion athletes. Below are sports that South Meck has to offer for its students.
- Cross Country
- Swimming & Diving
- Track & Field
- Ricky Berens, former USA Olympic swim team member and 2x gold medalist in the 4x200 m freestyle
- Joy Cheek, professional basketball player in the WNBA
- Stu Cole, former MLB player with the Kansas City Royals
- Carlos Crawford, former MLB player with the Philadelphia Phillies
- Walter Davis, 6x NBA All-Star and member of the gold medal winning 1976 USA men's Olympic basketball team
- Grace Glenn, artistic gymnast
- Anthony Hamilton, singer/songwriter and record producer
- Bobby Jones, NBA Hall of Famer, 4x NBA All-Star and silver medalist with the 1972 USA men's Olympic basketball team
- Peter Joseph Jugis, fourth bishop of Roman Catholic Diocese of Charlotte
- David Mims, professional football player in the NFL
- Roman Phifer, former NFL linebacker and member of three Super Bowl championship teams with the New England Patriots
- Dan Shaver, racecar driver and entrepreneur
- Austin Yearwood, profesional soccer player
- "South Mecklenburg High". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved December 1, 2019.
- "Carlos Crawford Statistics." The Baseball Cube. Retrieved 1 December 2018.
- (Sep 4, 2014). Local twins shine spotlight on gymnastics. WBTV. Retrieved Dec 22, 2019.
- Oct 21, 2003 by Catholic News Herald - issuu. Catholic News Herald. Retrieved 9 June 2019.
- (Jan 4, 2007). Team Owner, Driver Dan Shaver Passes. ARCA Menards Series. Retrieved Dec 22, 2019.
- Austin Yearwood High Point Men's Soccer. highpointpanthers.com. Retrieved 6 March 2019.