South Lake, Kern County, California
South Lake is an unincorporated community in the Kern River Valley, in Kern County, California. It is located 4.5 miles (7.2 km) west-southwest of Weldon, at an elevation of 2,887 feet (880 m).
|Elevation||880 m (2,887 ft)|
South Lake is located along the south shore of Lake Isabella. A CalTrans G9-2 guide sign posted along SR178 identifies the population as 160. The community uses the Weldon, California ZIP Code of 93283, and is contained within Area code 760.
This populated place has a US Geological Survey (USGS), National Geographic Names Database feature ID of either 1867057 (current) or 1661474 (in older editions). Elevation above mean sea level is shown as 2,887 feet (880 m).
South of town, Goat Ranch Canyon extends into the Paiute Mountains.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: South Lake, Kern County, California
- Durham, David L. (1998). California's Geographic Names: A Gazetteer of Historic and Modern Names of the State. Clovis, Calif.: Word Dancer Press. p. 1108. ISBN 1-884995-14-4.
- The Register identifies the site as #80000803 and it was added to the Register in 1980.
- Per USGS Geonames server.
- United States Geological Survey (1989). Weldon, California (Map). 7.5-minute Quadrangle. Reston, VA: United States Geological Survey.
- Fire station is described on the local fire fighter's union Archived 2007-12-26 at the Wayback Machine web page. It is also shown in many local and federal public records.