South Holland and The Deepings (UK Parliament constituency)
South Holland and The Deepings is a constituency represented in the House of Commons of the UK Parliament since its 1997 creation by John Hayes, a Conservative. It is the second safest Conservative seat in the United Kingdom.
|South Holland and The Deepings|
for the House of Commons
Boundary of South Holland and The Deepings in Lincolnshire.
Location of Lincolnshire within England.
|Electorate||76,939 (December 2010)|
|Major settlements||Spalding and Holbeach|
|Member of Parliament||John Hayes (Conservative)|
|Number of members||One|
|Created from||Holland with Boston Stamford and Spalding|
|European Parliament constituency||East Midlands|
At the 2017 general election, the constituency recorded a higher Conservative share of the vote than any constituency since 1970, with 69.9% of voters backing the party. South Holland also delivered the nation's second highest Leave vote in the 2016 referendum on the United Kingdom's membership of the European Union. 73.6% of voters endorsed Britain's withdrawal from the EU, second only to neighbouring Boston.
2010–present: The District of South Holland, with Deeping St James, Market Deeping and West Deeping.
The constituency was created in 1997 from parts of the former seats of Holland with Boston and Stamford and Spalding. It covers the area around Spalding. It roughly corresponds to the local government District of South Holland, but with Market Deeping and West Deeping added.
In minor boundary changes that were put in place for the 2010 general election, parts of the two civil parishes of Baston and Langtoft, forming much of the Truesdale ward, were moved to the neighbouring constituency of Grantham and Stamford. This made Market Deeping and Deeping St James the only South Kesteven parishes to stay in the constituency, the remainder being in South Holland District.
The last non-Conservative member for the predecessor main seat was Sir Herbert Butcher (served 1937-1966) who for much of that time was in the National Liberal Party set up in 1931.
The member from 1966 until 1997 was Richard Body for the main contributor seat (in later years as MP, knighted), who had previously been an MP during the Eden government and the start of the Macmillan government for Billericay, and later wrote assertive books on agriculture and on the Common Agricultural Policy.
Members of ParliamentEdit
Elections in the 2010sEdit
At the 2017 general election South Holland and The Deepings returned the largest Conservative vote share in the United Kingdom at 69.9%. This was the highest Conservative vote in any seat at a general election since a 75.7% share in Kensington South in 1970.
|Liberal Democrat||Julia Cambridge||1,433||2.8||-0.1|
|Liberal Democrat||George Smid||1,466||3.0||-12.5|
|Liberal Democrat||Jennifer Conroy||7,759||15.5||+2.6|
Elections in the 2000sEdit
|Liberal Democrat||Steve Jarvis||6,244||12.9||+2.6|
|Liberal Democrat||Grace Hill||4,761||10.3||-5.3|
Elections in the 1990sEdit
|Liberal Democrat||Peter Millen||7,836||15.6||N/A|
|Non-party Conservative||Guy Erwood||902||1.8||N/A|
|Conservative win (new seat)|
Notes and referencesEdit
- "Electorate Figures - Boundary Commission for England". 2011 Electorate Figures. Boundary Commission for England. 4 March 2011. Archived from the original on 6 November 2010. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
- "Majority Sorted Seats". www.electoralcalculus.co.uk. Retrieved 2018-08-30.
- "EU referendum: The result in maps and charts". BBC News. 2016-06-24. Retrieved 2018-08-30.
- "GE2017 - Constituency results". Britain Elects (Google Docs). Retrieved 11 June 2017.
- Unemployment claimants by constituency The Guardian
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "S" (part 4)
- "South Holland and the Deepings Election Result 2017". BBC News. Retrieved 11 June 2017.
- "Election Data 2015". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 17 October 2015. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- "South Holland & The Deepings". Election 2015. BBC. Retrieved 8 May 2015.
- "Election Data 2010". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 26 July 2013. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- BBC - Election 2010 - South Holland & The Deepings
- "Election Data 2005". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 2001". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 1997". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.