Some Picture was a leading racing greyhound during the 1990s. He won both the English Greyhound Derby and the Scottish Greyhound Derby. He was also voted the 1997 UK Greyhound of the Year and unusually for an English trained greyhound was voted 1997 Irish Greyhound of the Year, being Irish bred.
|Whelped||2 June 1994|
|Trainer||Charlie Lister O.B.E|
|1997 Greyhound of the Year|
1997 Irish Greyhound of the Year
|1997 English Greyhound Derby champion |
1997 Scottish Greyhound Derby champion
Whelping and rearingEdit
In April he was aimed at the first major Derby of the year, the 1997 Regal Scottish Greyhound Derby and won the event earning the first prize of £20,000 for owner Steve Spiteri. The success propelled him into favouritism for the 1997 English Greyhound Derby and was looking to become the first Scottish Derby champion since Patricias Hope (1972) to successfully double up.
The black dog breezed through the competition remained going unbeaten into the final. As the only wide runner in the final he took a decisive lead on the second bend to win a first Derby for his trainer Charlie Lister. The time of 28.23 was the fastest time ever for a Wimbledon Stadium Derby final. 
After a short break he travelled to Ireland and Shelbourne Park, in an attempt to become the first greyhound in history to achieve the modern triple crown (Irish Derby instead of Welsh Greyhound Derby). Some Picture was ante post favourite for the 1997 Irish Greyhound Derby and after five races (two heat wins and a further three heats where he was defeated but earned a qualifying place) he lined up for the final. The dream ended (and a £100,000 bonus was lost) after he was slow away and tangled with Spiral Nikita; his great English rival Toms The Best won the final. It transpired that his trainer Charlie Lister had battled with his fitness throughout the competition after Some Picture had been off colour during the event.
He was a successful sire at stud, siring many top open racers.
- Hobbs, Jonathan (2002). Greyhound Annual 2003. Raceform. ISBN 1-904317-07-3.
- "Hall of Fame". Greyhound Board of Great Britain.
- "Some Picture profile". Greyhound Data.
- "Monthly Greyhound Star (Remember When) July edition". Greyhound Star. 2018.
- "1997 Derby". Greyhound Derby.com.
- National Greyhound Racing Club Calendar, July 1997 edition. National Greyhound Racing Club.
- "1997 Derby final". You Tube.
- "Greyhound Racing: Some Picture gets his shot at immortality". The Independent. 23 October 2011.
- "Remember When - September 2019". Greyhound Star. 29 September 2019.