Sofia Margareta Götschenhjelm-Helin (born 25 April 1972) is a Swedish actress. She was nominated for a Guldbagge Award for her role in Dalecarlians, and stars as Saga Norén in the Danish/Swedish co-produced TV series The Bridge (Danish: Broen; Swedish: Bron).
Sofia Margareta Helin
25 April 1972
Early life and educationEdit
Sofia Helin was born in Hovsta in Örebro, Närke. Her father was a salesman and her mother was a nurse. When she was 10 days old, her grandmother and her six-year-old brother were in a car accident; her grandmother survived, but her brother was killed. From 1994-1996, she went to Calle Flygares theatre school and graduated from the Stockholm Theatre Academy in 2001. She was brought up in Linghem, outside Linköping but in 2015 was living in Stockholm.
Helin played the leading role of Chief Inspector Klara in the film At Point Blank (Rånarna) in 2003. In 2004, she took the leading role of Mia in Masjävlar, and was nominated for a Guldbagge award. In 2007 she played the leading role of Cecilia Algottsdotter in Arn, an adaptation of Jan Guillou's The Knight Templar, about Arn Magnusson. She also featured in the Swedish animated film Metropia (2009).
She became famous outside Sweden after 2012, when the first series of the highly successful TV crime drama series The Bridge went to air. In it, she played Saga Norén, a homicide detective from Malmö. In the UK, the series attracted more than a million viewers per episode, and she was called a role model for women with Asperger syndrome. The fourth season of the series aired in 2018.
In 2015, she starred in a Danish science fiction film called Fang Rung. In the same year, she acted in a British/German TV series directed by Oliver Hirschbiegel, about divided Berlin in the 1970s, called The Same Sky, in which she spoke in both German and English. The series was shot in Prague.
Helin is married to Daniel Götschenhjelm, a priest in the Church of Sweden and former actor whom she met at drama school. She has two children: a son, Ossian, aged 17 and a daughter, Nike, aged 12 (as of 14 June 2021). Helin is a Christian.
- Rederiet (1997)
- Tusenbröder (2002)
- Beck – Sista vittnet (2002)
- At Point Blank (2003)
- Four Shades of Brown (2004)
- Dalecarlians (Masjävlar) (2004)
- Blodsbröder (2005)
- Nina Frisk (2007)
- Arn – The Knight Templar (2007)
- Arn – The Kingdom at Road's End (2008)
- Metropia - Swedish animated film (2009)
- Gåten Ragnarok (2013)
- The Bridge (Broen/Bron) - TV series (2011–2018)
- The Same Sky - TV series (2017)
- That Good Night (2017)
- The Snowman (2017)
- Mystery Road (series 2) - TV series (2020)
- Atlantic Crossing - TV series (2020)
- Thomson, Alice; Sylvester, Rachel (1 February 2014). "Sofia Helin – the star who turned Saturday night into Scandi-night". The Times. Retrieved 4 February 2014.
- Lewis, Roz (1 January 2016). "Sofia Helin: My Family Values". The Guardian. Retrieved 2 January 2016.
- Agorelius, Monika (30 October 2015). "Meet Sofia Helin – star of crime series 'The Bridge'". Scandinavian Traveller. SAS. Retrieved 13 December 2015.
- Williams, Sally (28 November 2015). "The Bridge's Sofia Helin: 'Playing Saga is like a vice gripping my body'". The Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 29 November 2015.
- Dowell, Ben (21 November 2015). "The Bridge's Sofia Helin: my love/hate relationship with Saga Noren". Radio Times. Retrieved 7 December 2015.
- Townsend, Lucy (9 December 2015). "How The Bridge's heroine became a role model for women with Autism". BBC News. Retrieved 9 December 2015.
- Barraclough, Leo (1 June 2015). "Global Screen Acquires Sci-fi Thriller 'Fang Rung' Starring 'The Bridge' Actress Sofia Helin". Variety. Retrieved 14 December 2015.
- Pham, Annika (25 September 2015). "Sofia Helin: "A role has to turn me on"". Nordisk Film & TV Fond. Retrieved 14 December 2015.
- Buckmaster, Luke (15 April 2020). "Mystery Road season two review – a new riddle for Aaron Pedersen's troubled detective". The Guardian. Retrieved 19 April 2020.
- Midgely, Neil (4 January 2014). "The Bridge star Sofia Helin: It's hard to get out of the role of Saga". Radio Times. Retrieved 4 February 2014.
- Khaleeli, Homa (12 May 2012). "Move over, Sarah Lund: The Bridge star Sofia Helin interviewed". The Guardian. Retrieved 11 January 2014.
- Mesure, Susie (29 December 2013). "The view from The Bridge: Sofia Helin on weird sex and playing TV's most awkward copper". The Independent. Retrieved 25 January 2014.
- "The Bridge (2011–)". IMDb. Retrieved 7 December 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sofia Helin.|