Social pornography (Norwegian: sosialpornografi) is a term used in Norway and elsewhere to describe a type of journalism where persons are exposed in an intimate way, especially in matters or situations of private or tragic nature, as a form of entertainment to satisfy a need to "watch" (akin to "peeping"). Social pornography often has no other purpose than entertainment, and can be considered an example of invasion of privacy. The term is especially used when concerning persons less able to safeguard their own interests and understand the consequences of making themselves available for the press in this way, i.e. children or people with few resources.
It can be controversial where the limits go for what constitutes social pornography and what is deemed to be newsworthy. For example, a news coverage may transcend to social pornography depending on what details the media choose to make public or focus on. It has been asserted that the media coverage of terror attacks at times are of a social pornographic nature, which can cause an excessive fear of terrorism.
Psychologists have stated that some "help TV" programs border on social pornography. Examples of such types of programs are where the participant(s) are compulsive hoarders, have embarrassing illnesses or economic problems.
- Social porn: the grubbier the better | Opinion | The Guardian
- sosialpornografi – Det Norske Akademis ordbok
- – Skattelistene er sosialpornografi – Dagbladet
- – Dette er sosialpornografi – Brønnøysunds Avis
- Morgenbladet Newspaper – English translation: The Superficial Analysis of Terror (Norwegian original: Den overfladiske analysen av terror)
- English translation: Psychologists' reality check | Journal of the Norwegian Psychological Association (Norwegian original: (Psykologenes virkelighetssjekk | Tidsskrift for Norsk psykologforening)
- VG Newspaper – English translation: Every Fifth Reality Show Participant Feels Exploited (Norwegian original: Hver femte reality-deltager føler seg utnyttet)
- Dagbladet Newspaper – English translation: Borders on pornography (Norwegian original:- Grenser til pornografi)
- TV2 Norway – English translation: Psychologist says Big Brother is social pornography (Norwegian original: Psykolog: – Big Brother er sosialpornografi)
- studvest.no – English translation: People sat on the Stairs to see "Ex on the Beach"-Daniel (Norwegian original: Folk satt i trappen for å se «Ex on the Beach»-Daniel)
- Dagbladet Newspaper – English translation: Psychologists rage against "help TV" (Norwegian original: Psykologer raser mot «hjelpe-tv»)
- Dagbladet Newspaper – English translation: Confession from a Television Viewer (Norwegian original: En tilståelse fra en tv-seer)
- Sosialpolitikk eller sosialpornografi? En analyse av sosialpolitiske reportasjer i pressen (1984) av Roel Puijk, Helge Østbye og Else Øyen, Universitetsforlaget. (English title: Social Policy or Social Pornography? – University of Bergen)