|This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Smoke City was an English band that blended acid jazz and trip hop, borrowing from Brazilian styles such as samba and bossa nova. They are best known for their single "Underwater Love", which was a major hit in 1997, after being used in a Levi's television advertisement, "Mermaids" (directed by Michel Gondry). In 1997, the band released their first album, Flying Away, which included several hits such as "Underwater Love", "Mr. Gorgeous (and Miss Curvaceous)" and "Águas de Março (Joga Bossa Mix)". Smoke City's next album, Heroes of Nature, was released in 2001. An extended version of Heroes of Nature had three more tracks than the original, one of them being a cover version of John Lennon's "Imagine".
|Genres||Electronic, trip hop|
"Underwater Love" is also a track on the soundtrack for Thicker Than Water, a surf video.
The group disbanded in 2002.
- Flying Away (1997)
- Heroes of Nature (2001)
- Black Sessions - Smoke City
- "Smoke City". AllMusic. Retrieved 12 July 2013.
- Roberts, David (2006). British Hit Singles & Albums (19th ed.). London: Guinness World Records Limited. p. 510. ISBN 1-904994-10-5.
- Steffen Hung. "Smoke City - Underwater Love". charts.org.nz. Archived from the original on 24 October 2012. Retrieved 2012-04-25.
- Concert photos by Laurent Orseau (Black Session)