Small Heath railway station
|Local authority||City of Birmingham|
|Managed by||West Midlands Trains|
|Number of platforms||2|
|Live arrivals/departures, station information and onward connections|
from National Rail Enquiries
|Annual rail passenger usage*|
|Passenger Transport Executive|
|PTE||Transport for West Midlands|
|Key dates||Opened 1863|
|National Rail – UK railway stations|
|* Annual estimated passenger usage based on sales of tickets in stated financial year(s) which end or originate at Small Heath from Office of Rail and Road statistics. Methodology may vary year on year.|
The former Great Western Railway station building, opened in 1863 as Small Heath and Sparkbrook on their main line from London Paddington to Birkenhead Woodside, is on a bridge which it shares with Golden Hillock Road (the B4145), over the tracks. The A45 Small Heath Highway runs alongside. To the other side is the site of the former BSA factory.
The station once had four platforms (both in an island configuration) in use, following the quadrupling of the line by the Great Western Railway in 1906, but only the western pair are now operational (as these are the only ones that trains can use to reach Moor Street & Snow Hill).
Mondays to Saturdays, daytime service is generally two trains per hour outside peak times.
Southbound, there is one train per hour to Dorridge via Solihull and one train per hour to Whitlocks End via Shirley. London Midland proposed the closure of the ticket office. The request has been denied.
- "Small Heath railway station, Birmingham" Thompson, Nigel Geograph.org; Retrieved 12 October 2016
- Table 71 National Rail timetable, May 2016
- "Proposed changes to ticket office opening hours". Archived from the original on 11 August 2011. Retrieved 24 July 2011.
- London Midland ticket office closure plans overruled BBC News article 17 September 2012
- Train times and station information for Small Heath railway station from National Rail
- Rail Around Birmingham and the West Midlands: Small Heath railway station
- Warwickshire Railways page
|Preceding station||National Rail||Following station|
Birmingham Moor Street
|West Midlands Railway
Leamington Spa to Worcester
Birmingham to Stratford Line
|This article about a West Midlands building or structure is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article on a railway station in the West Midlands region is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|