Skive Municipality is a municipality (Danish, kommune) in Mid Jutland Region on Salling Peninsula, a part of the larger Jutland Peninsula in northwest Denmark. It covers an area of 688.09 km² (2013) and has a population of 46,938 (1 April 2014). Its mayor is Peder Christian Kirkegaard, a member of the Venstre political party.
The main town and the site of its municipal council is the city of Skive.
The Virksund Bridge (Virksundbroen) connects the municipality at the town of Virksund to the town of Sundstrup in Viborg municipality.
As of January 1, 2007, the original Skive municipality ceased to exist as a result of Kommunalreformen ("The Municipal Reform" of 2007). It was merged with the former Sallingsund, Spøttrup, and Sundsøre municipalities, to form the new Skive municipality. The old municipality had an area of 230 km² and a population of 27,919 (2005). Before the reform, the municipality was part of Viborg County.
Skive itself is a coastal tourist resort, at the mouth of the Karup River (Karup Å) and the Skive Fjord. As of 1992, the population was 19,711.
- The 14th century Spøttrup Castle underwent extensive repairs in the 1940s and opened as a museum and medicinal herb garden.
- Skive Art Museum (Skive Kunstmuseum) is housed in a building designed by Danish architect Leopold Teschl, who also designed the Skive Historical Museum. The art museum houses a broad collection of modern Danish art with special interest in expressive landscapes and New Realism painting. Also, the collection includes works by local artists, including Christen Dalsgaard, national romantic painter associated with the Golden Age of Danish Painting.
- The Fur Museum is on the island of Fur, part of the Skive municipality. It features exhibits relating to the island of Fur, particularly fossils.
- The Mønsted Limestone Caves south-west of the town of Skive are run by Denmark's nature-preservation group, Skov- og Naturstyrelse. As well as being a tourist attraction, the caves are used as a place to age cheese, which is then exported to Germany as "cavecheese". In winter, the caves are home to 10,000 bats.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Skive Kommune.|
- Municipal statistics: NetBorger Kommunefakta, delivered from KMD aka Kommunedata (Municipal Data)
- Municipal mergers and neighbors: Eniro new municipalities map