SitePoint is a Melbourne-based website, and publisher of books, courses and articles for web developers. In January 2014, SitePoint.com had an Alexa ranking of 889, and a Quantcast rating of 14,934.
|Founder||Matt Mickiewicz and Mark Harbottle|
|Products||Books, courses, websites|
SitePoint was founded by Matt Mickiewicz and Mark Harbottle in 1999. The company had its origins in Webmaster-Resources.com, an internet forum Mickiewicz founded as a resource for beginner web developers.
Originally, the company's business model was based on selling advertising and sponsorship. Following the collapse of the Dot-com bubble in 2000, the company looked towards publishing as an alternative source of income. The company's first book, Build Your Own Database Driven Website Using PHP and MySQL, was published that November, based on a popular online tutorial. Originally made available using print on demand, the book went on to sell 20,000 copies. By 2004, the company had published six books, and began distribution through O'Reilly.
The SitePoint Marketplace, a spinoff from the site's existing forums, was launched in 2005 as a forum in which web designers and developers could outsource projects. In 2007, part of the marketplace was spun off as 99designs, an online marketplace for crowdsourced graphic design. In 2011, 99designs received its first outside investment in the form of $35 million in venture capital funding from Accel Partners.
Following the introduction of its own courses, the company launched Learnable in 2010 as a new online learning platform for web developers. Originally designed as a marketplace, it is later became the primary outlet for SitePoint's online book and course products. Learnable was later phased out for the simpler SitePoint website. It allowed some courses to remain as paths, but mostly removed the community aspects of it. SitePoint now partners with major book production companies and has SitePoint Premium, a subscription or one-time purchase to get access to their whole library for free. Going to learnable.com now redirects you to SitePoint.
- "Sitepoint.com Site Info – Alexa". Retrieved 25 August 2010.
- "sitepoint.com – Quantast Audience Profile". Retrieved 22 January 2014.
- "SmartCompany interview with Mark Harbottle". Retrieved 25 August 2010.
- O’Toole, Jared (7 September 2010). "Matt Mickiewicz on Creating Some of the Most Popular Websites in the World". Under 30 CEO. Retrieved 5 March 2014.
- Falconer, Joel (17 April 2011). "How SitePoint succeeded selling online content – when News Corp couldn't". The Next Web. Retrieved 13 March 2014.
- Yank, Kevin (27 November 2001). "Build your own Database Driven Website using PHP & MySQL". Zend. Archived from the original on 19 October 2010. Retrieved 5 March 2014.
- "O'Reilly to Distribute SitePoint Web Development Books". Retrieved 5 March 2014.
- Dubois, Louis (27 June 2011). "Matt Mickiewicz, Co-founder of 99designs". Inc. Retrieved 5 March 2014.
- Lacy, Sarah (28 April 2011). "Accel Invests $35M. in 99designs...After Years of Trying". TechCrunch. Retrieved 5 March 2014.
- Moulton, Luke (23 June 2010). "Flippa.com: A Year in the Life of a Start-Up". Flippa Blog. Retrieved 5 March 2014.
- BHATTARAI, ABHA (29 July 2008). "Find an Undervalued Asset. Fix It Up. Flip It. (Now It's Web Sites, Not Houses)". The New York Times. Retrieved 31 January 2009.
- Norman, Jan (9 August 2008). "O.C. teen sells Zune Web site for $62,000". OC Register. Retrieved 31 January 2009.
- Tilley, Shayne (28 October 2010). "Want To Teach Your Own Course? We're Here To Help ..." SitePoint. Retrieved 5 March 2014.
- Kessler, Sarah (15 March 2011). "Get Paid to Teach Anything With New Online Education Platform". Mashable. Retrieved 5 March 2014.