Shidōkan (士道館) is an eclectic style of Knockdown karate, founded by Yoshiji Soeno. Established in 1978, its governing body is the World Karate Association Shidokan, with its headquarters located in Ito City, Shizuoka Prefecture. Currently, it has branches in 68 countries around the world.
|Country of origin||Japan|
|Parenthood||Kyokushin Karate, Judo, Muay Thai|
Shidokan karate is sometimes described as the "Triathlon of Martial arts", as it encompasses full contact karate, Muay Thai, and grappling-based martial arts. Tournaments are full contact and are normally held in a boxing ring.
Yoshiji Soeno was a prestigious practitioner of Kyokushin Karate, having won second place in 1st Open All Japan Karatedo Championships. In addition to karate, he was also taught kickboxing and mixed martial arts.
Early on, his purpose was to create a style of karate that allowed strikes to face and use of knees.
Although Shidōkan is a stand-up fighting style that includes kicks, strikes, and punches found in most other styles of Karate combined with Muay Thai, it also utilizes numerous locks, sweeps, and throws often associated with Judo, Jiu-Jitsu and Wrestling.
The "All Japan Karatedo Championships" and "Kanto Karatedo Championships" are held every year. At the Kanto Karatedo Championships, beginners and intermediates (from white belts to green belts) are allowed to participate. Their rules require wearing punching gloves and shin pads and ban throwing, ground fighting and sumo wrestling. In addition, the "National Boys and Girls Karatedo Tournament" is held every year in which boys and girls belonging to various karate groups including Shidokan participate.
Karate and kickboxing divisionsEdit
The Shidokan has a dojo that combines a karate dojo and a kickboxing gym (Shido Murakami Juku, Iijima Dojo, Ueno Dojo, Shido Sekine Juku, Hibarigaoka Dojo, etc.). The karate and kick divisions are basically separated, but it is possible to practice both in the form of training (when a person who is a beginner from kick learns karate, of course, the basics of karate are one. Will learn from). Seidokaikan is different in that only advanced karate players can receive kick instruction.
There are many people who have actual experience as professional kickboxers in the Shidokan teachers and teachers.
- Jean-Jacques Burnel, the bass guitarist of the English rock band The Stranglers - 7th degree black belt (nanadan) in Shidokan Karate and is head of Shidokan UK.
- Mitsuharu Misawa
- Toshiaki Kawada
- Shonie Carter - American mixed martial artist, UFC veteran.
- George St. Pierre
- Tomasz Kucharzewski - Polish-Canadian martial artist with numerous gold medals from Full-Contact Karate events.
- Makoto Uehara
- Go Yokoyama - Japanese kickboxer who competes in the welterweight division.
- Masaaki Kato
- "Black Belt February 1994". google.co.uk. February 1994.
- Dossantos, Reynaldo (5 October 2014). "A Beginners Guide to Shidokan (Volume 1)". google.co.uk.
- Haines, Bruce (22 November 2011). Karate's History and Traditions. ISBN 9781462901395.
- McGavin, Patrick Z (1996-02-09). "Try Shidokan Karate For Full-body Workout". Chicago Tribune. Retrieved 2015-01-23.
- "Black Belt March 1999". google.co.uk. March 1999.
- "Shidokan GB". Shidokan.org.uk. Retrieved 14 February 2015.
- "Interview: Jean Jacques Burnel, bass guitarist and founder of the Stranglers". Scotland on Sunday. Retrieved 11 June 2010.
- Shonie Carter Interview - Judoka at Heart | Judo Info