Sherif Gaber (full name Sherif Gaber Abdelazim Bakr; Arabic: شريف جابر عبد العظيم بكر pronounced [ʃɪˈɾiːf ˈɡæːbeɾ ʕæbdelʕɑˈzˤiːm bɑkɾ]) born c. 1993, is an Egyptian political activist and blogger who was arrested on October 27, 2013 for professing atheism, contempt of religion relating to activities on campus and atheist statements online.
Sherif Gaber is criticized by many Muslim thinkers. Many refute his ideas and describe them as neither original nor new. Sometimes he is described as no more than youtuber with superficial and shallow knowledge about Islam, Arabic language and even basic historical facts.
Arrest and court caseEdit
At 3:00 a.m. on October 27, 2013, three armored state security cars and an army vehicle arrived at Gaber's house. A number of state security agents entered his apartment, conducted a search, and confiscated all of his property, including but not limited to his school papers and documents, books, his PC, mobile phone, and his money. After that they threw him in the car and took him to jail.
On December 3, 2013, the court agreed to release Gaber after paying 7500 LE (2500 for the "Contempt of Religion" charge and 5000 for "spreading immoral values and abnormal thoughts that provoke and disturb the public peace and the national security of Egypt.") He was released the next day, but his case was ongoing.
Gaber's whereabouts are unknown, but in July 2015 the blog Patheos reported that Gaber had been releasing pro-science and pro-human rights videos on YouTube.
- "القبض على خاروق جامعي يدعو إلى الإلحاد في العريش". Archived from the original on April 17, 2015. Retrieved September 18, 2015.
- "Sherif Gaber, Egyptian Student, Sentenced To Prison For Atheist Facebook Posts". Huffingtonpost.com. 2015-02-19. Retrieved 2015-03-03.
- "Full details in the case of Sharif Jaber - التفاصل الكاملة في قضية شريف جابر | ALBER SABER ألبير صابر". Albersaber.com. Retrieved 2015-03-03.
- "جنح ثالث الإسماعيلية تؤجل نظر قضية الطالب "شريف جابر" المتهم بازدراء الأديان لجلسة 8 يونيو | مؤسسة حرية الفكر والتعبير". Afteegypt.org. 2014-04-27. Retrieved 2015-03-03.
- "الحبس سنة لطالب جامعي ملحد لإدانته بازدراء الإسلام على "فيس بوك" :: بوابة الشروق :: نسخة الموبايل". Shorouknews.com. Retrieved 2015-03-03.
- "حكم جديد يجرم الحق في حرية التعبير .. حبس الطالب شريف جابر سنة وكفالة ألف جنيه للتعبير عن رأيه | مؤسسة حرية الفكر والتعبير". Afteegypt.org. 2015-02-18. Retrieved 2015-03-03.
- Nader, Emir (30 May 2015). "'I live to face things, not run from them': Political repression and asylum in Egypt". Middle East Eye. Retrieved 18 September 2015.
- Mehta, Hemant (15 July 2015). "Egyptian Atheist, Sentenced to Prison but Hiding from Police, is Now Releasing Pro-Science YouTube Videos". Retrieved 17 September 2015.