Sheosar Lake (Urdu: شاؤسر جھیل) (also called Shausar Lake) is a lake situated in Deosai National Park, in Gilgit-Baltistan province of northern Pakistan. It is located at the height of 4,142 metres (13,589 ft).
|Location||Deosai Plains, Gilgit-Baltistan, Pakistan |
(Karakoram-West Tibetan Plateau alpine steppe)
|Native name||شاؤسر جھیل|
|Etymology||Sheosar Lake means 'Blind Lake' in Shina language, as Sheo means 'Andhi' (Blind) and Sar means 'Lake'.|
|Max. length||2.3 kilometres (1.4 mi)|
|Max. width||1.8 kilometres (1.1 mi)|
|Average depth||40 metres (130 ft)|
|Surface elevation||4,142 metres (13,589 ft)|
Routes to the LakeEdit
The lake is accessible through two routes. One is via Skardu and the other via Astore District.The road through Skardu can be covered by jeep in few hours, however, if trekked, it can take 2 days time.Second route is from Astore District. From main Astore town, it takes about 4 hours' jeep travel through a semi-metal road to reach Chilm, the last residential area adjacent to the plains.
Between the months of November to May the area of Deosai is snow bound. During spring, the surrounding area is covered with wide variety of flowers and butterflies. Most visitors come to the lake are in summer between June to early September.
- Syed Mehdi Bukhari (27 April 2015). "Deosai Plains: Welcome to surreal Pakistan". DAWN.COM. Retrieved 4 April 2017.
- "Sheosar Lake – North Pakistan | Northern Areas of Pakistan". northpakistan.com. Retrieved 4 April 2017.
- "Sheosar Height, Length and Width". Worldfortravel.com. Retrieved 4 August 2018.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Lakes of Pakistan.|
- HighestLake.com - List of highest lakes
- http://pbase.com/waqas Sheosar Lake Photos by Waqas Usman
- Imran Ahmed's Picture Gallery: Sheosar Lake
- Ch. Umer's Picture Gallery: Sheosar Lake
|This Gilgit-Baltistan lake article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|