Shek O Beach is a gazetted beach located facing Island Bay in Shek O, Southern District, Hong Kong. The beach has barbecue pits and is managed by the Leisure and Cultural Services Department of the Hong Kong Government. The beach is about 230 metres long and is rated as Grade 1 by the Environmental Protection Department for its water quality.
|Shek O Beach|
|Location||Shek O, Hong Kong Island|
|Patrolled by||Leisure and Cultural Services Department|
|Shek O Beach|
On 25 October 2014, a 60-year-old man was found lying on the shore after being drowned while swimming near the beach. The police and the ambulance had arrived at the scene and confirmed that the man had died.
On 18 November 2018, a 12-year-old girl had drowned while swimming near the beach. She was rescued by a swimmer and was accompanied by her male relative and her friend to Pamela Youde Nethersole Eastern Hospital for treatment.
On 19 May 2019, a 69-year-old woman had drowned while swimming near the beach. She was unconscious when she was rescued by lifeguards and was taken by an ambulance to the hospital where she was certified dead.
The rocky cliffs in the beach provide an excellent place for sports climbing and the beach offers views of Ng Fan Chau in Island Bay.
The beach has the following features:
- BBQ pits (39 nos.)
- Changing rooms
- Car park
- Light refreshment restaurant
- Water sports centre
- Obstacle golf course
- "Leisure and Cultural Services Department - Beaches and Swimming Pools - Southern". Leisure and Cultural Services Department. Retrieved 25 April 2021.
- "Environmental Protection Interactive Centre : Beach Water Quality Data". Environmental Protection Department. Retrieved 25 April 2021.
- "男子離奇伏屍石澳泳灘 警查死因". Oriental Daily News. 25 October 2014. Retrieved 25 April 2021.
- "女童石澳泳灘遇溺 獲熱心泳客救起". Oriental Daily News. 18 November 2018. Retrieved 25 April 2021.
- "六旬婦石澳泳灘遇溺亡". Ming Pao. 19 May 2019. Retrieved 25 April 2021.
- "中二男生石澳戲水溺斃 同窗獲悉情緒激動｜即時新聞｜港澳｜on.cc東網". Oriental Daily News. 26 November 2020. Retrieved 25 April 2021.
- "BEACHES - HONG KONG ISLAND - HONG KONG EXTRAS3". Hong Kong Extras. Retrieved 25 April 2021.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Shek O Beach.|