Shawn Matthias (born February 19, 1988) was a Canadian professional ice hockey forward. Matthias played in the NHL with the Winnipeg Jets, Colorado Avalanche, Toronto Maple Leafs, Vancouver Canucks and the Florida Panthers, having been originally drafted by the Detroit Red Wings in the second round, 47th overall, at the 2006 NHL Entry Draft. Matthias was a natural centre early in his career, however made the transition to being able to play the wings as well.
February 19, 1988|
Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
|Height||6 ft 3 in (191 cm)|
|Weight||231 lb (105 kg; 16 st 7 lb)|
Toronto Maple Leafs
47th overall, 2006|
Detroit Red Wings
Matthias played his major junior ice hockey career with the Belleville Bulls of the Ontario Hockey League (OHL) before he was drafted by the Detroit Red Wings in the second round, 47th overall, in the 2006 NHL Entry Draft. During the following season, 2006–07, his rights were traded, along with conditional draft picks to the Florida Panthers in exchange for Todd Bertuzzi on February 27, 2007.
On January 18, 2008, the Panthers called up Matthias from Belleville. In his second NHL game on January 19, 2008, he scored his first two goals, both against goaltender Brent Johnson of the Washington Capitals.
Despite posting a career-high in goals (18) and points (27) during the 2014–15 season, the Canucks opted not to re-sign Matthias after the expiration of his contract, whereupon on July 6, 2015, he signed a one-year, $2.3 million deal with the Toronto Maple Leafs as an unrestricted free agent. Following the signing, Matthias expressed via Twitter that he was a Maple Leafs fan growing up and that he "couldn't be happier to play for [his] hometown team."
In the 2015–16 season, Matthias made his Maple Leaf debut on opening night in a 3-1 defeat to the Montreal Canadiens on October 7, 2015. Throughout the year, Matthias failed to score at a pace similar to his prior season in Vancouver, but was still seen as a decent producer given his role on the team. After contributing with 17 points in 51 games, on February 21, 2016, Matthias was traded by the rebuilding Maple Leafs to the Colorado Avalanche in exchange for a 4th round pick in the 2016 Entry Draft and prospect Colin Smith.
Regular season and playoffsEdit
|2012–13||EHC Black Wings Linz||EBEL||4||1||2||3||0||—||—||—||—||—|
|2015–16||Toronto Maple Leafs||NHL||51||6||11||17||12||—||—||—||—||—|
|World Junior Championships|
- "Red Wings acquire Bertuzzi from Panthers". ESPN. February 27, 2007. Retrieved October 19, 2010.
- "Backstrom, Kozlov power Capitals past Panthers". ESPN. January 19, 2008. Retrieved February 14, 2008.
- "Canucks trade Roberto Luongo back to Panthers". The Sports Network. March 4, 2014. Retrieved March 4, 2014.
- "Hats off to Shawn Matthias as Canucks knock off Bruins". Vancouver Sun. February 13, 2015. Retrieved February 13, 2015.
- "Leafs Sign Shawn Matthias". Toronto Maple Leafs. July 6, 2015. Retrieved July 6, 2015.
- "Matthias 'all smiles' after Maple Leafs deal". Sportsnet. July 6, 2015. Retrieved July 6, 2015.
- "Leafs come up short in opener". Toronto Maple Leafs. October 7, 2015. Retrieved October 7, 2015.
- "Leafs deal Matthias to Avalanche for prospect, draft pick". TSN. February 21, 2016. Retrieved February 21, 2016.
- "Jets agree to terms with Shawn Matthias". Winnipeg Jets. July 1, 2016. Retrieved July 1, 2016.