Sharp PC-E500S(Redirected from Sharp PC-E500)
Sharp PC-E500S in RUN mode (BASIC programming)
|Entry mode||Infix, BASIC,|
|Precision||10 (single precision)|
20 (double precision; not available in CAL, MATRIX, and STAT modes)
|Display type||LCD dot-matrix|
|Display size||4×40 characters|
|User memory||32 KB (built-in), custom-expandable to 256 KB|
|Firmware memory||256 KB|
|Ports||1 vendor-specific (serial/printer/disk drive) 1 TTL-level serial communications port|
|Power supply||4× AAA|
|Power consumption||0.09 W|
|Weight||340 g (including lid and batteries)|
|Dimensions||22×10.45×1.9 cm (lid closed)|
It was slightly wider, and the keys are slightly larger than the previous model. The display had more contrast, and the keyboard cover is a (removable) hinged lid (clamshell) instead of plastic slipcase. There were also four additional BASIC commands. Programs written on PC-E500 were executable on the PC-E500S.
It came with 32 KB of RAM which could be upgraded to 96 KB using memory expansion cards. The monochrome LCD had 240×32 pixels which could display four lines with 40 characters per line as well as graphics. The 256 KB system ROM the contained the BIOS, a diagnostic suite, and the BASIC interpreter used to program the device.
An algebraic calculation system was included. The Algebraic Expression Reserve (AER) memory: Frequently used formulas or constants could be stored in memory and recalled for repeated use. The PC-E500 series also performed as a scientific calculator when switched into 'CAL' mode.
It also included an X<>Y exchange key for working with complex numbers and polar to rectangular conversions.
- Mathematics (integers, equations, differential & integral calculus, formulas and graphs)
- Earth sciences
- Electrical engineering
- Mechanical engineering
In addition things like amino acids and the periodic table of elements were available. These built-in programs were accessed through a menu system and special function keys. There was also a built-in menu editor to add new software to the menus or indeed replace some built-in software or formulas.
- BASIC (programming and execution)
- CAL (scientific calculator)
- MATRIX (matrices calculations)
- STAT (statistics)
- ENG (engineering)
- 10 digits (mantissa) + 2 digits (exponent) in single-precision mode.
- 20 digits (mantissa) + 2 digits (exponent) in double-precision mode.
- In the CAL, MATRIX and STAT modes, only the single precision mode can be used.
The Sharp PC-E500 series could store data and programs on memory expansion cards as well as the main RAM. Six cards were available:
- CE-210M: 2 KB
- CE-211M: 4 KB
- CE-212M: 8 KB
- CE-2H16M: 16 KB
- CE-2H32M: 32 KB
- CE-2H64M: 64 KB
These cards used a CR1616 lithium battery for memory backup.
The memory configuration was software-switchable from the command-line. The RAM card could be appended to the system memory, replace the system memory or act as a separate space to be used as a RAM drive (F:). The main memory could also be partitioned off to a RAM drive (E:).
- CE-126P: Thermal printer & cassette interface.
- CE-140F: 2.5-inch pocket floppy drive.
- CE-130T: RS-232 adaptor level converter.
- CE-135T: RS-232 adaptor level converter. (Macintosh)
- CE-515: 4-color X/Y plotter printer
- PC-E500 (English): 32 KB, engineer software, double precision, slipcase, rubber keys, black, 1988/1989
- PC-E500 (Japanese): 32 KB, engineer software, double precision, Kanji, slipcase, rubber keys, black, 1988
- PC-E500PJ / PC-E500-BL (Japanese): 32 KB, engineer software, game "HEAVY METAL mini" (by CRISIS Software) preloaded into RAM, double precision, Kanji, slipcase, rubber keys, blue, 1990, limited special edition by Pokecom Journal (PJ)
- PC-E500S (English): 32 KB, engineer software, double precision, high contrast display, clamshell, plastic keys, black, 1995
- PC-E550 (Japanese): 64 KB, engineer software, double precision, Kanji, slipcase, rubber keys, white, 1990
- PC-E650 (Japanese): 64 KB, engineer software, double precision, structured BASIC, Kanji, clamshell, plastic keys, black, 1993
- PC-1480U (Japanese): 32 KB, no engineer software, "coop uni" label, double precision, Kanji, slipcase, rubber keys, black, 1988
- PC-1490U (Japanese): 32 KB, no engineer software, "coop uni" label, double precision, Kanji, slipcase, rubber keys, black, 1990
- PC-1490UII (Japanese): 64 KB, no engineer software, "UNIV. TOOL" label, double precision, Kanji, slipcase, rubber keys?, black, 1991
- PC-U6000 (Japanese): 64 KB, no engineer software, "UNIV. TOOL" label, double precision, Kanji, clamshell, plastic keys, black, 1993
- Sharp Service Manual (OOZPCE500SSME). Sharp Corp. 1993. p. 6.
- PC-E500S Bedienungsanleitung (German manual). Sharp Corporation. 1995. p. 337/338.
- 電言板5 PC-1490UII PROGRAM LIBRARY (in Japanese). 5. University Co-op. 1991. (NB. University Co-operative)
- 電言板6 PC-U6000 PROGRAM LIBRARY (in Japanese). 6. University Co-op. 1993. (NB. University Co-operative)
- SHARP Pocket Computer Model PC-E500 Operation Manual. Sharp Corporation. 1989. 9G1KS(TINSE1189ECZZ).
- SHARP Taschencomputer Modell PC-E500S Bedienungsanleitung [SHARP Pocket Computer Model PC-E500S Operation Manual] (PDF) (in German). Sharp Corporation. 1995. 6J3KS(TINSG1223ECZZ). Archived (PDF) from the original on 2017-02-24. Retrieved 2017-02-24.