Shamsul Alam Khan Milon
Shamsul Alam Khan Milon (Bengali: শামসুল আলম খান মিলন), commonly known as Shaheed Dr. Milon, was a Bangladeshi physician and political activist. He was killed on November 27, 1990 allegedly by cadres of the then military ruler Hussain Muhammad Ershad.
Shamsul Alam Khan Milon
শামসুল আলম খান মিলন
|Born||August 21, 1957|
|Died||November 27, 1990 (aged 33)|
|Cause of death||Assassinated|
|Resting place||Dhaka Medical College premises|
|Alma mater||Dhaka Medical College|
Early life & educationEdit
Milon was born on August 21, 1957 at Dhaka. He passed SSC in 1973 and HSC in 1975 from Notre Dame College, Dhaka. Then he was enrolled in Dhaka Medical College to study Medicine. He passed MBBS in 1983. He completed M.Phil in Biochemistry in 1988.
Milon joined at Department of Physiology & Biochemistry in Dhaka Medical College as lecturer. He had been serving at that post till his death. He was the then Joint secretary of Bangladesh Medical Association.
At the height of 1990 Mass Uprising in Bangladesh, Milon was killed by gunmen of the then military dictator Hussain Muhammad Ershad near Teacher-Student Centre (TSC), University of Dhaka on November 27, 1990.
On that day, Milon, accompanied by Mostofa Jalal Mohiuddin were heading for the then IPGMR to attend a meeting arranged by Bangladesh Medical Association by a rickshaw. Milon was shot while crossing TSC of University of Dhaka. He was rushed to Dhaka Medical College Hospital but doctors declared him dead.
Impact of deathEdit
The death of Milon ignited a wide spread uprising amid the anti-autocracy movement. It prompted the dethroning of military ruler cum politician Hussain Muhammad Ershad on December 6, 1990, only a few days after Milon's assassination.
Shaheed Dr. Milon dayEdit
- "Political parties, student organizations pay tribute to Dr Milon". Dhaka Tribune. 2018-11-27. Retrieved 2020-08-12.
- বৃহস্পতিবার শহীদ ডা. মিলন দিবস. banglanews24.com (in Bengali). Retrieved 2020-08-12.
- ডা. মিলন হত্যার বিচার কোনো সরকারের আমলেই হয়নি, জানালেন মিলনের মা. Amadernotun Shomoy (in Bengali). 2019-11-26. Retrieved 2020-08-12.
- নব্বইয়ের গণ-অভ্যুত্থান ও শহীদ ডা. শামসুল আলম খান মিলন. Kaler Kantho (in Bengali). Retrieved 2020-08-12.
- "Shaheed Dr Milon Day today". The Financial Express. Dhaka. Retrieved 2020-08-12.
- "Shaheed Dr Milon Day observed". Daily Sun. Retrieved 2020-08-12.
- "Shaheed Dr Milon Day today". The Daily Star. 2019-11-27. Retrieved 2020-08-12.
- "Shaheed Dr Milon Day today". bangladeshpost.net. Retrieved 2020-08-12.
- শহীদ ডা. মিলনের নিঝুম মুখচ্ছবি. bdnews24.com (Opinion) (in Bengali). 2019-11-27. Retrieved 2020-08-12.
- "Dr Milon Day today". New Age. Retrieved 2020-08-12.
- "Dr Milon an 'unforgettable person' in history: president". bdnews24.com. Retrieved 2020-08-12.
- "Shaheed Dr Milon Day today". The Daily Star. 2018-11-27. Retrieved 2020-08-12.